Volvospeed Forums

Please Help 1993 Volvo 850 Hard Starting Issue

Kreal

Hi all, I own a 1993 Volvo 850 GLT 5spd manual. All stock. Owned for over a year and just within the past month I have been having this issue when starting the car.

Car will sit over night or for a few hours, and when I turn the key it will keep cranking but will not start UNLESS I press the gas pedal, OR turn the key off and try again real quick (starts right up then!)

Almost like it isn't keeping fuel inside to start it... any ideas?

Paul

xkreal@aol.com

Sounds like a fuel pump relay or fuel pump issue. There should be some pressure in the fuel rail even when the car is shut off. When the key is turned, the pressure immediately rises to about 35 psi, drops to like 8 psi. When cranking it should hold steady at 35 or so psi. It ususally holds at about 8 psi with the engine off.

If there are some anomolies in the above, I would investigate further. If not, could be spark related. I once had some trouble getting the car to start when my battery was weak and would not crank the car very fast. The battery was replaced and I no longer had any hard-start issues. If your rotor and cap are old I would probably replace. Seems like the iginition system doesn't have much tolerance for worn parts.

Guest Guest

Hey guys! Thanks for the replies so far, heres more info:

I did a full 100% tune-up about 2000 miles ago, cap, rotor, plugs, fuel filter, etc, etc, etc. 164k miles, mint condition.

Guest AlvinL

Please check out Bay13 and look for trouble codes. You don't need any special tools for this.

If I were to guess, maybe a dirty IAC (idle air controller)?

Hey! Where is the IAC located? Its not the mas sensor, right?

The idle air controller is the silver cylindrical unit thats mounted horizontally near the throttle body and vaccum tree, there is a sensor coming off of it and the throttle body hose has a small artery that connects to it.

Guest Guest

I had very similar problem. Seemed to be harder to start the longer it sat after being turned off. Started to take 10-15 cranks to start, when previously it only took 5-6.

Problem: traced to a set of bad injectors! Went crazy until the mechanic took the injectors out of the engine, but still connected to the fuel rail. AFter 1/2 hour, he noted that several were wet. Not supposed to happen. One was really damp, while others were just wet. Car had 160K miles on original injectors. Replaced the injectors with new ones from FCP Groton, and the problem immediately went away. The problem was hard to diagnose, because the system retained fuel pressure, but the leak was just enough to make the car too rich in more than one cylinder, and that made it harder to start.

Guest Guest

Hey...found out this is not effected by me pressing the gas pedal. If it sits for a few hours or over night it will crank and crank but not start. SOMETIMES it does after a long period of cranking (all under 1 minute). If I turn the key off and try again a second later it will start.

Could the smell of gas mean anything? Not sure if I over filled it when refueling or something leaking..I see no leaks

PROBLEM FOUND!!! It is a fuel LEAK. Going from the line running into the fuel rail, looks like an o-ring went bad. Does anyone have any advice or info on replacing this o-ring? Where can I get one? How easy to replace?

Anyone ever gone through this?

THANKS SO MUCH for all the help so far, you guys are awesome!

Paul

Archived