Volvospeed Forums

Evaporator/ Heater Core Installation

prasamin

Well, thanks to Mike D., Alex, Paul, Nick, and Mike D.'s parents, we got my evaporator and heater core installed over the weekend. It took us 2 days of work time, but not too bad. We had a good time doing it, well, atleast I did ;) NWC can suck it hard. Try this one out for size next time you get together to install something on a member's car ;)

No step by step pics, I just took a couple of random ones to show how everything worked out.

IMG_1341Medium.jpg

IMG_1342Medium.jpg

IMG_1344Medium.jpg

IMG_1391Medium.jpg

You can get this farking rings at any auto parts store. They are generic quick (not so quick, really) disconnects. We got the large pipe off with a ring like pictures. Just slip the collar of the ring into the spring coupler fitting, and squeeze together with pliers. After you feel like the spring inside the coupling has been lifted, have someone grab the white evap housing and pull, while another person pulls on the line as hard as possible. For the smaller line, the collar of the rings got eaten up, so it wouldn't work, but we got a metal quick disconnect tool and squeezed it in to release it. I went through 3 different types of quick disconnect tools to get the lines off. :(

IMG_1392Medium.jpg

IMG_1393Medium.jpg

IMG_1394Medium.jpg

IMG_1395Medium.jpg

Yanger yanking on the evap housing for some reason

IMG_1398Medium.jpg

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I think it might be bad.

IMG_1400Medium.jpg

IMG_1401Medium.jpg

We all are closet mold lickers. We just never admit it.

IMG_1402Medium.jpg

IMG_1403Medium.jpg

heater core, no pics. It looked okay, and actually, the unit held into the firewall had gunk in it, and was leaking. Luckily, my dealer told me I should buy it just in case I find that it's broken. Lo and behold, that was the problem. Replaced that entire unit, along with the core, even though the old one looked "okay".

We anti-rattled/squeeked the dash with pipe insulation from Lowes, and some peel and seal type material, quiet as a whiste within the day I've driven the car.

The car started right up. I got a chance to run wiring properly for all my gauges and shit, and as you can see in one of the pics, the wiring for everything was very unorganized and everywhere. That is what happens when you install everything one at a time, and always in a hurry to make a meet!

When we went to recharge the A/C at the end, the compressor would not kick on, so I called around, but no one had advice. Well, VS had a search button that worked for once, and I found that jumpering the harness on the evap line would turn the compressor on, so that was that.

One problem, the oil charge went in first, and that got gobbled up immediately. When we went to put the refrigerant in, none of it would go into the system, even with the compressor running. Anyone have any ideas? A/C is not blowing cold, just won't take any refrigerant!????

Does anyone have any good ideas on how to get puke out of a laptop keyboard? :o

Now I know to sell the car if the heater core craps out.

heater core wasn't too bad to do. you don't have to take the dash off for that, unless the firewall connection is bad. the evaporator is the one you have to take the dash out for. and yes, sell your car if you ever have to do that one.

and as far as getting puke off your keyboard, some urine will wash it right off.

Good work! My parents took their 850 in to the dealership for the heater core and evaporator. I would be much too timid to try such a big job :) I really like what you have done with your engine bay.......All I have done is to paint(with high temp engine paint) the spark plug cover yellow, and it really brightens the area up. Next time I journey down to Southern California(from up here in Sac), I will have to look you, and your Volvos, up. Have a most wonderful evening :)

Oh come on... that is a snap!!!! Reminds me of all the good times I had with my dash off!!!

Scrape some of that mold onto some whole wheat bread and you have some So. Cal. Vegemite! :pizza:

Scott C.

I do that repair once a week! It takes me about 2.5 hours with R134 charge!! I was wondering what shat red under your hood??? :)

I do that repair once a week! It takes me about 2.5 hours with R134 charge!! I was wondering what shat red under your hood??? :)

you can replace the evap in 2.5 hours? what? what is your per hour labor charge at BVA man??

oh, and maybe you can charge my system up this week ;)

Oh come on... that is a snap!!!! Reminds me of all the good times I had with my dash off!!!

Scrape some of that mold onto some whole wheat bread and you have some So. Cal. Vegemite! :pizza:

Scott C.

was it you with the lizard? :blink:

was it you with the lizard? :blink:

Hell no! The SPCA would be after my a$$ trying to Freeze a lizard in my AC ducting! That was over in FLA!

But by the looks of that EVAP... I would say some rats or something was livin' in there or somethin'

Scott C.

I was wondering what shat red under your hood??? :)

... probably the same vermin that were living in that EVAP!!!

MAN - it's great having Seamus here!!! :lol:

Scott C.

Archived