Volvospeed Forums

The Modification Can Proceed!

Serge

// edit: Final Result!

IMG_8411.JPG

IMG_8412.JPG

As you can see a few of them need to be adjusted to look right. Perhaps I should sand the LEDs down a bit more.

IMG_8353.JPG

For those that don't know, those are surface mount resistors a few mm in length and width.

They are 470 ohms, so they should technically drop the voltage of my 3.2V LEDs running at 30mA from 12Vs to around 2Vs. I tested this with a 470 Ohm 1/8W resistor and they are plenty bright, so these should be the same.

More pics coming soon...

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The light from the LEDs that I got (clear lens, 3000mcd) was too directional compared to LEDs with diffused lenses. This caused it to backlight unevenly. After some pondering I came up with a solution: sand-paper the lens.

I took some very fine finishing sand paper (800 grit) and roughened up the lens all around. I then filed off the bottom of the LED so that it resembles the bulbs more.

Look at the difference between the original LED and my modified one:

IMG_8396.JPG

It took me two hours to do eight of them... it wasn't fun...

Oh, becareful putting the LED into the holder as this may happen:

IMG_8403.JPG

Here are the parts you'll use:

IMG_8400.JPG

* The original bulb holder

* 3mm LED

* 470 ohm surface mount resistor

* Thing wire to wrap around bulb holder (get one thinner than mine)

Snip one lead first and wrap the wire around where the original bulb's wire was and solder it to the LED's lead. Then cut the 2nd lead.

IMG_8405.JPG

Put the surface mount resistor parallel to the slit. My trick is to use an aligator clip to hold it in place. Solder that.

IMG_8406.JPG

Then solder another wire to the other end of the resistor and wrap it around the holder.

IMG_8401.JPG

My fleet of LEDs!

IMG_8404.JPG

That's about it.. not so much to it.

Enjoy!

at least this guy is trying something that many of us have been wanting and fearing to do for quite sometime. Its unique and challening so if theres a prob why dont you go out and do something better to your cars...maybe an aluminum spoiler or a neon license plate holder or something.

lower voltage than what?

i think 12V LEd's are pretty expensive, and much BRIGHTER than standard 2-3V LEd's

thast why he used a resistor to minimize the brightness

12V LEDs most likely just have a limit resistor inside of them, They do not have to be brighter, on the contrary, they are dimmer. These clear lens LEDs are what, 3000mcd? That is super bright! You can damage your vision by staring directly at them.

Liquid Kernel, can you clarify what this thin wire that you wrap around the holder is and does?  I'm a little confused.

The bulb holders twist into a PCB (printed circuit board). There has to be some way to make contact with the ground and power wires that are actually leads on the board. If you pull out a bulb from one of your switches right now you'll be able to understand this more clearly. Basically, I had to re-create what the old grain-sized bulb wires were doing.

Archived