Volvospeed Forums

Howto: Make Blinkers Flash On Door Lock

Serge

I finally took some time to go to my car and take pictures of my setup, as well as take the time to actually sit down and write this. So here goes.

Required tools:

* T25 torx (or T30? I forget)

* Soldering iron

* (optional) DMM (Digital Multi Meter)

Required parts:

* 12V DPST (DPDT will work as well) relay. The double-pole part is VERY important

* 12V SPDT (any 12V relay that is NC) relay. (optional, I will explain why in the write-up)

* Wire taps for 16-20 (or something close) gauge wire

* Heatshrink tubing

* Assorted color wire

What we will attempt to do:

When the Central Locking Relay sends 12Vs to lock the doors (+12Vs for 0.6 seconds), we will use that to trigger a relay, in effect powering our blinker lights.

How to do this:

First and fore most, I am not responsible if you break anything in your car. I have many years of hobby electronics experience under my belt, so for me this was something I did for fun. Do this at your own risk.

Warning #2: This was done on a 1995 850 Turbo, wiring may differ in later models. I followed the schematics for a '97 and the wires matches, so it shouldn't be a problem.

With that said, let's continue.

We will be working solely under the driver's kick panel. This is where all the car's electrical wires run through. There are nearly a hundred (if not more) wires in a few bunches running in there. Some of which MAY have similar colors, but I will hopefully provide enough information for you to find the right ones.

The Central Locking Relay has two pins that it uses for closing and opening the doors. M- and M+. M- will send -12Vs to lock the doors. M+ will send +12Vs to open the doors.

After painstakingly pulling out every relay in my Central Electrical Unit, unscrewing the entire assembly and slightly pulling it up from it's place to see the colors of the wires, I was able to map all the colors for the Central Locking Relay connectors.

We will only be working with one: M-. It is a thick wire that is SOLID YELLOW..

Yellow wire. Note that it's thicker than some of the other wires.

IMG_8370.JPG

The yellow wire is on the left-side bundle.

IMG_8373.JPG

The remaining wires we will need are:

Solid red: constant 12Vs.

Solid black: ground.

Solid green: Left blinker light.

Blue/green: Right blinker light.

If you look at the picture on top, all of these four wires come from the right-side bundle. Take your time to connect your various colored wires (try to get them to match [color-wise] to the wires you are connecting to).

Ground Wire.

IMG_8371.JPG

Two blinker wires, sorry it came out blurry.

IMG_8372.JPG

To better understand how this is layed out, I drew a quick schematic.

schematic.JPG

The ends of the relay's switches will be connected to the constant +12V line (solid red). Each of the other ends of the switches will go to the left and right blinker lights (solid green and blue/green).

One lead of the relay's coil will go to the ground (black wire) and the other will go to M- (solid yellow).

That's pretty much all there is to do.

Optional Step: There is one flaw with the design above, if at anytime (even while driving), you lock your doors by pressing the door lock on the door, the lights will blink. To avoid this, you will need a 2nd relay. I have provided another schematic for this purpose.

schematic2.JPG

What you have to do here is add a relay's NC (normally closed) contacts in-line with the M- line to the relay we use to power the lights. This relay gets triggers when the car is either in Accessory or Run. The schematics for the '97 850 say that it's the yellow/violet colored wire, but to be on the safe side just tap into the cigarette lighter socket wire.

Viola!

IMG_8369.JPG

UPDATE:

Here is our relay, 8 connectors. Ignore #1 and #2. Those are the NC connectors that we don't need for schematic #1.

275-218.jpg

Pin #3: Goes to the solid green wire (left blinker)

Pin #4: Goes to the blue/green wire (right blinker)

Pin #5 and #6: Connect both together, then to a red wire (constant 12Vs)

Pin #7: Goes to the solid yellow wire (M-)

Pin #8: Goes to the black wire (ground)

• Replies 113
  • Created
  • Last Reply

great! So all of the described wires are just spliced off to that relay? Does the relay shorten the signal length because that is what i had saught to do for the chirp mod. As the only problem was that the "chirp" was more like a horn just going off.

Cool. I want to do it, but not familiar with what any of those relays are or where to get them and so forth.

The red wires are constant 12V? Oops... Which did you say was ignition/accessory? Yellow violet? Let's hope I can find that one...

EDIT:

Ah, so red is... Well, this diagram I'm looking at says brown/orange is hot in acc/run.

(Another) EDIT:

Ok. Found a bunch of stuff that says yellow/violet are the acc/run power lines, and not a single other diagrams has the brown/orange wire in it...

the theory is the same

when the doors lock, it sends a signal to the relay and activates the relay which turns on the signal lights

the relay is just there so that you don't splice the signal lights together (so when you want to turn right, not both lights go on)

Ah. I sorta understand now. It just basically has all of the (can't think of what they are) things that keep the current flowing in one direction in it? And, where can I get them? Radioshack?

That's where I got my relay. I would've ordered one online, but I said screw it and went to Radio Shack.

dude two nice write ups, very good! you shoudl be a mod for sure

I was a supermod on the 14th largest forum on the Internet (genmay.com)... was okay but even with lots of users there it was timid. I wouldn't do much here =]

I like helping people and sharing my knowledge; this is just one way to do it :)

Is there a specific way to wire the relay?  I've never delt with relays before...

Most relay packages will have a small schematic of their pin connectors. Just follow the schematic I provided and match the connections up to the ones on the relay.

Alright, I got the relays, and I believe I understand how the first one works and all, but I don't understand what exactly is going on with the second one. The way it is drawn in in the diagram, it looks like it is just something by itself.

When the relay is normally closed, does that mean it opens when 12V is sent to it?

Is it supposed to have the grounding wire for the first relay wired through it in such a fasion that the first relay won't be able to complete a circuit when the car is on which causes the second relay to close?

Archived