Volvospeed Forums

Timing Marks

Marciano

please look at these pictures - the crank marks on my '98 v70 are 2 slits in 2 consecutive teeth (as you can see.)

I assume the mark goes between these two teeth with slits?

After installing new t-belt and rotating twice (clockwise), this is where the intake and exhaust sprocket marks are.

It looks as though on the intake and exhaust sprockets that they are each one tooth off.

That is if I am lining up the crank between each slit on the 2 consecutive crank teeth.

the engine roitated clockwise just like it did before I had disasembeled the timing belt.

should I worry about the 2 marks being off at the top and if so, how should I fix them?

thanks!

167866002_31ec619728.jpg

167865976_3123194651.jpg

The cam and exhaust are definately not lined up, as far as the crack goes, the groove is not in the teeth, it will be in the valley between the teeth.

+1, I believe the mark has to be between teeth

Your crank sprocket is off by no more than one tooth and I can't tell which way. Spin the crank a little and look for mark inside the next two teeth before taking the belt off and realigning things up.

Your crank sprocket is off by no more than one tooth and I can't tell which way. Spin the crank a little and look for mark inside the next two teeth before taking the belt off and realigning things up.

That is what I will do, but when I took the old belt off the 2 sprocket marks were lined up good and the crank mark was in between the 2 crank teeth that have little slits in them.

That is what I will do, but when I took the old belt off the 2 sprocket marks were lined up good and the crank mark was in between the 2 crank teeth that have little slits in them.

Maybe there are two different crank sprockets, do a research on this, it would be interesting to find out.

+3 Nice pics though!! :)

When I did the timing belt on my 98 S70 (with mechanical tensioner) the crank marks were as your pictures show: two small scribe marks on the top of the teeth. Go with your intuition on this one. When you removed the belt the crank was lined up between the marks and the cam pulleys were on their marks as well. Your pictures show the crank lined up correctly, but the Cams are off by a tooth. Remove the belt and redo it.

I believe what you did was not get the RH side of the belt tight when you fitted the belt onto the pulleys. The end result is that when you rotate the crank by hand, the slack in the belt gets taken up before the cams start to turn which puts them off by a tooth in the direction shown in your pics. Usually what I do is get the cams aligned on their marks and I rotate the crank just a tiny bit counter clockwise (just to the outside scribe mark). That lets me fit on the belt with juat a little slack on the RH side.

Just make sure the sprockets are where they are supposed to be. 2 bolts above on the intake parallel to the "seam" and the opposite for the exhaust. If you cams are on the sprockets right, you have just altered the cam timing (retarded the timing) and may get some interesting results. Finally, you may be able to bring the cams around using the slots in the sprockets. There is quite a range of adjustment. The marks will be off but that doesn't matter if the cams are where they should be.

When I did the timing belt on my 98 S70 (with mechanical tensioner) the crank marks were as your pictures show: two small scribe marks on the top of the teeth. Go with your intuition on this one. When you removed the belt the crank was lined up between the marks and the cam pulleys were on their marks as well. Your pictures show the crank lined up correctly, but the Cams are off by a tooth. Remove the belt and redo it.

I believe what you did was not get the RH side of the belt tight when you fitted the belt onto the pulleys. The end result is that when you rotate the crank by hand, the slack in the belt gets taken up before the cams start to turn which puts them off by a tooth in the direction shown in your pics. Usually what I do is get the cams aligned on their marks and I rotate the crank just a tiny bit counter clockwise (just to the outside scribe mark). That lets me fit on the belt with juat a little slack on the RH side.

O.K. everything is back together just like you said to do. Should I rotate the engine and then release the hydraulic tensioner pin or release it and then rotate?

O.K. everything is back together just like you said to do. Should I rotate the engine and then release the hydraulic tensioner pin or release it and then rotate?

Allign all marks first. Wrap the belt around the crank sprocket and keep the tension on both sides>route the belt to cams' sprockets>then water pump and finally tensioner pulley. Then install the tensioner and release the pin.

Release the pin and then rotate the engine by hand clockwise. You want everything in it's normal position before you rotate the engine because the next step is to start it up.

O.K. I rotated enough to where the exhaust and in intake sprockets made 1 full turn and they are lined up good and so is the crank mark. Should I do it again? Also, my crank mark is between the 2 slits on the 2 crank teeth. But it is right behind the crank wheel not on the side where the stationary mark is. In the pic I posted it is not in view because it is back behind where the shadow is. I still need to install the new serpentine belt then I will start it up. Should I put the wheel back on and take it off the jack stands before I start it? I think I see a light at the end of the T-belt tunnel.

O.K. I rotated enough to where the exhaust and in intake sprockets made 1 full turn and they are lined up good and so is the crank mark. Should I do it again? Also, my crank mark is between the 2 slits on the 2 crank teeth. But it is right behind the crank wheel not on the side where the stationary mark is. In the pic I posted it is not in view because it is back behind where the shadow is. I still need to install the new serpentine belt then I will start it up. Should I put the wheel back on and take it off the jack stands before I start it? I think I see a light at the end of the T-belt tunnel.

New serpentine belt is installed about a million times easier than the T-belt. Should I rotate again just to be sure?

New serpentine belt is installed about a million times easier than the T-belt. Should I rotate again just to be sure?

Start it up, nothing to worry about if you confirmed that marks are all ligned up. If you can spin the engine by hand then you won't damage anything but starting it up.

Start it up, nothing to worry about if you confirmed that marks are all ligned up. If you can spin the engine by hand then you won't damage anything but starting it up.

how many lbs. torque is supposed to be on 98 v70 lugs?

Archived