Volvospeed Forums

Wiper Delay Relay

ylstaffer

Can anyone tell me where the windshield wiper delay relay is located? I want to replace it with a programmable one but I'm uncertain where it's located. Is there a relay box under the instrument panel on the drivers side? If so, which one is the wiper relay? Thanks for any info.

Can anyone tell me where the windshield wiper delay relay is located? I want to replace it with a programmable one but I'm uncertain where it's located. Is there a relay box under the instrument panel on the drivers side? If so, which one is the wiper relay? Thanks for any info.

It's sitting really deep inside. If you looking from the floor it sits really high. Sorry for the unclear description... Anyway to find it fo sure, just turn wipers on and touch the relay, when it clicks you going to feel it . :blink:

It's sitting really deep inside. If you looking from the floor it sits really high. Sorry for the unclear description... Anyway to find it fo sure, just turn wipers on and touch the relay, when it clicks you going to feel it . :blink:

Good idea with the clicking... anyway does anyone know what the VW part number for this relay is becuase i know there is a cheaper one out there but the topic that had the part number is probably lost...

Good idea with the clicking... anyway does anyone know what the VW part number for this relay is becuase i know there is a cheaper one out there but the topic that had the part number is probably lost...

Bosch, 3B0955531

If you shop around, you can find the equivalent part from Kaehler for cheaper. I bought the Kaehler part (like $26) four years ago, still working fine.

edit: the relay is a total pain to get to, way up under the driver's dash.

I really appreciate all the advice, thanks! As for part numbers, the VW/Audi numbers that I've been told will do the trick are 196 or 197 (and possibly 99?). These numbers are printed clearly on the tops of the relays. I see them occasionally in our local pick-a-part yards, but most have been snagged before I get there. It's really annoying that this goofy thing is so difficult to get to under the dash, but I've seen worse for sure. Thanks again!

I'm using a VW for the front wipers. I believe it's marked 99. Yes the relays are WAY up under the dash, when you're under there it seems like the relays are almost behind the gauge cluster. I scratched up my hand trying to wiggle in in there, but it's worth it.

I'm using a VW for the front wipers. I believe it's marked 99. Yes the relays are WAY up under the dash, when you're under there it seems like the relays are almost behind the gauge cluster. I scratched up my hand trying to wiggle in in there, but it's worth it.

Right...99 on the VW relay is the right one...I'm using one.

When everyone says high up they are right, but to be more specific, it is at the very top and 2nd from the far right. Hope this helps. I did a lot of research on this at one time and so I'll paste the file I made below:

3B0-955-531 is original VW part number (works with '98 S/V/C/XC70) for intermittant wiper relay (same as IPD's).

The programmable unit: 357 955 531 or

the new number 1HM 955 531B for under US$40.

Note, APS sells these control units for about 10US$ less. The APS part

number is: 25-955 531

The Bosch part number is 0 986 335 058

VW charge £35 (part number 357 955 531). They have used at least four manufacturers, Doduco, Beru, Kostal and Bosch. Doduco, German made, was fitted on the 94 Golf's and uses an SGS Thomson chip. I haven't found a UK agent. Beru (part number 0 900 301 082), also German, is on later Golf's and uses the same chip in a half height relay case. Beru tell me they no longer make this part. The Kostal (377 955 531) is Brazilian with a Motorola chip. The German car co (www.germancarcompany.co.uk) has supplied me with both the Kostal and the Beru for about £15 each. I prefer the surface mount construction of the Beru. I haven't see a Bosch (part number 0 986 335 058), but they tell me it's available and retails for £20.

Windshield Wipers

Variable Intermittent Wiper

The following explains how to install a 'programmable' intermittent relay which will give a intermittent time interval from 2 to 45 seconds. The time interval is programmed using the wiper stalk switch.

The relay is Bosch P/N 0 986 335 058. It should cost between $30 and $40 from any one of the following:

* Automotive Performance Systems (800-423-3623)

* Wolf Sport (800-342-8669)

* VW or Audi dealers -- VAG P/N 1HM 955 531 A

The "A" is the important part, but this part has been superceded, so when you ask for it, they may try to give you a part that ends with "B", "C", etc. The "B" part does work, the "C" does NOT!

Installation:

This relay takes the place of the relay in position #9 in the main fuse box under the hood. The relay to remove is white and has a large 271 printed on the top. Its part number on the side was 443 955 531. Remove this and replace it with the 'programmable' relay.

Operation:

1. Turn the wiper switch to the intermittent position then turn it to off. The wiper will wipe once.

2. When you need the wiper to wipe again, you place the wiper switch to intermittent and leave it there. It will remember the time interval and repeat the wipe at this interval.

3. To change the interval, just turn to off (wiper will wipe) and then turn back to intermittent position to set the new time interval.

4. The relay is reset to a 6 second default interval when ignition is turned off.

10.953.012 Programmable relay at www.autotech.com ($39)

http://www.oldskoolindustries.com/catalog/...products_id=244 ($40)

http://www.parts4vws.com/catalog/product_d...umber=3B0955531 ($40)

97 Passat GLX

http://www.worldimpex.com/item_detail.html?sku=54591

http://forums.swedespeed.com/zerothread?id=45122

Obviously a lot of the above is outdated (don't know how "under the hood" got in there) as I just pasted from different sites about this from all over the internet, but some information in here might be helpful. I bought a couple on eBay (99 on top of the VW relay) but since then most people have smartened up and know that this relay is special and want more for them.

Quickbrick Motorsports also sells the intermittant relay, and their price isn't horrible. Depends on how much you want one!

Oh, btw, avoid the KAE relays. You might find one cheap and they claim to be intermittant too but how they are operated really, really Suck. I bought one of these first and sent it back.

So I went out this afternoon to replace the original relay with the VW 99 I got at the local pick-a-part and 5 minutes later I have a programmable wiper delay. It definitely is tight up under the dash and I just went by touch to find the right relay (can't really see up there) and pulled it out (carefully noting the position it was in to plug the new one in correctly... VERY important) and stuck the new one in it's place and boom, there it is. Thanks for all the info, it made the job really simple.

Archived