Volvospeed Forums

Who Has The Lightest 850?

Slater

My 850 went on a little diet. My goal was to make it as light as possible.

I started with removing anything that wasn't absolutely necessary - exhaust, hood, trunk lid, dash, lights, etc:

light2.jpg

Then I realized there was even more uber heavy stuff that could be removed - all windows and windshield, engine, doors, suspension, brakes:

light3.jpg

Once that was done the car was just still too heavy for my tastes. So I took this:

light1.jpg

And proceeded to make the car into a c70:

light4.jpg

Then some misc odds and ends were removed:

light5.jpg

Now we're starting to get the weight down there:

light7.jpg

Finally I was left with this - and with it the title for the lighest 850 in the world (3 grams):

light6.jpg

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Wanna race for pink slips?

HELL YA! Let me ask my mom for the title and then we can race!

How you been Slater? Haven't seen you around in quite a while, I hope you're getting better man :tup:

I wanna see a picture of it when it actually gets put back together. If it gets put back together.

When it finally gets put back together my plans are a twin turboed V10 Viper engine w/ a 500 shot of nitrous for spoolup, and AWD. I plan on starting on the project the day before tomorrow. It's going to be my daughter's first car for her 16th birthday.

What did the neighbors think?

They loved it - I hung up a sign by the work area "Answers: $1, Dumb looks: Free":

light8.jpg

She'll kill herself. You want your little 16yo girl to have a 500 shot of nitrous?

Well, I really wanted a 1000 shot with 2 bottles, but there won't be enough room in the trunk for 2 bottles with the race gas cell and roll cage. BTW she's only 2 now so I have plenty of time to teach her how to drive this beast as soon as it's ready.

Archived