Volvospeed Forums

850r: Auto Ecu Vs Manual Ecu

NoodleKnight

Is there an actual hardware difference between an ecu for an auto 850R versus an ecu for a manual 850R? More specifically, I'm wondering if I could just get my auto ECU reflashed (I plan on having it chipped and re-flashed anyways) to an 850R manual ecu aftermarket software, assuming that there's a tuning company here in the US that is willing to do it.

Or am I just better off finding a euro-spec ecu? If so is there any other place (other than ebay) where I can buy one?

and why do you want to reflash to manual ECU?

a good tuner can make an 850 auto ECU into a manual ECU

Well, that was the answer I was looking for. Sorry if I wasn't clear with my previous post.

I just wanted to know if I could have my current auto ECU reprogrammed into a manual ECU so that I wouldn't have to go through the hard process of finding a euro-spec ecu and paying for it. I'd chuck out the TCU, and yes I'm doing a manual swap if that wasn't clear -- I don't see any sense in putting a manual ecu into an automatic car.

Actually, there is a hardware difference between a manual and auto ECU. :) However, this won't be a problem when changing from auto to manual.

Adam.

Maybe I should be more specific....the manual and auto ECU's are swappable....sockets are the same....internally I have no idea....I just know they both work in a manual car, although the auto one will throw a CEL for missing PNP and missing TCU

Archived