Volvospeed Forums

Engine Coolant

BeachRat

Time to top off the engine coolant resevoir. Cap says use Volvo coolant only and not to mix with other coolants. Do I need to go buy "Volvo" coolant or can I just use whatever's good at AutoZone? I'd want to think Volvo just wants you to keep buying their maintenace products but I'd hate to risk ruining something over a couple bucks. I know some of the newer Volvos are picky about their tranny fluid (that was a thread a while back) so I don't know if this is a similar pitch.

Save money and flush the coolant now  and replace with Prestone.

It would be cheaper than $17, probably about $7 and then you can use the green coolant from now on to top off.. :rolleyes:

Aye, the cheap stuff has the same ingredients. The Volvo stuff is green now, I made him confirm that it wouldn't be a problem to mix with the pink. He (parts guy) also said it's all green now. Only difference between Volvo coolant and the cheap stuff is that it says "Volvo" and "Phosphate Free" on the bottle. But if it only cost me $10 to learn that versus a new radiator or various hoses replacement I'm happy :D

If you love volvo so much, then don't buy other brand. But if you don't, get the prestone.

It's not that I love Volvo that much, I just didn't want to take a risk over $10. I'll be doing the cheaper stuff from now on since they're both ethelyne glycol.

Guest Guest

Go with what gives you comfort.

I have been using Prestone sine 1996 in my 1995 850 with original rafiator and water pump.

That said- I do buy the red oem coolant for my Toyota Sequia becuase it looks cool :rolleyes:

Prestone is a great product, ETHYLENE GLYCOL BASED AND PHOSPATE FREE like Volvo's, for a third of the price.

I have been using Prestone for 15 years in all my 3 volvos without any problems. The Key though, is that no coolant lasts forever, and flushing and refreshing every 3 years will keep you going for a long time.

By the way, I love my volvo's but I love hanging on to my hard earned money even better :P

Prestone is a great product, ETHYLENE GLYCOL BASED AND PHOSPATE FREE like Volvo's, for a third of the price.

I have been using Prestone for 15 years in all my 3 volvos without any problems. The Key though, is that no  coolant lasts forever, and flushing and refreshing every 3 years will keep you going for a long time.

By the way, I love my volvo's but I love hanging on to my hard earned money even better :P

That means you don't love volvo "so much" ;)

bogelo I've gotta agree with John there. It's almost like using Mobil One in your 92 sentra daily driver (hyp.): Yeah, you could do it, and it'd prove you REALLY take car of that car. But cost-benefit analysis shows you're just wasting money.

bogelo I've gotta agree with John there. It's almost like using Mobil One in your 92 sentra daily driver (hyp.): Yeah, you could do it, and it'd prove you REALLY take car of that car. But cost-benefit analysis shows you're just wasting money.

I disagree. I use Mobil 1 in ALL of my vehicles. I always have, always will! *Especially* in the daily driver, because that's the one that sees the most use, and short trips. Don't you want your oil to do it's job? What better than an excellent synthetic?

Don't skimp out on a couple oil changes to have to buy a new engine later on.

If you use mobil1 in a 92 sentra, it'll add 15 more hp :P (just kidding). Using mobil1 in my car is worth every penny (at least for me). Anyway bad analogy there, mobil1 oil very much different from any other oil. Thats why: Nothing outperforms Mobil1. Mobil1 rep. should pay me for this :D

True that it is cost-effective to use other brand alternatives. I'm just saying that you choose what u gotta choose. Personally, I use volvo original parts (but not everything) coz I got this sense of security. You know that volvo original parts are made specially for volvo. Having your sense of security and peace in mind, priceless (as mastercard will say).

Archived