Volvospeed Forums

S70 1999 Obd-ii Codes P0171 And P1081

eec70

My daughter's car is a S70 1999 (106K miles) and has OBD-II codes P0171 and P1081. She is trying to renew her tags and cannot get a clean emissions test until the codes are clear. I checked it when she was last in town and the vacuum elbow on the intake manifold has disintegrated and is leaking. I have the new vacuum elbow to install when she comes home and suspect the P0171 (System too lean (bank 1)) is the cause for this code. It also failed the gas cap test and I intend to correct this too. The maintneance is up to date on the car and it is in good working order. I was wandering if anyone knows what the P1081 code represents?

Rick

FWIW:

According to a posting on another forum (http://www.volvoforums.com/m_25610/tm.htm) the P1081 code translates as "Fuel delivery system high."

And the following is from a posting on this site (http://www.volvospeed.com/vs_forum/index.php?act=Post&CODE=02&f=34&t=30509&qpid=397856):

I recently ran into the P1081 code on my '99 V70. I had cleared a code with an OBD II scanner after replacing the O2 sensor, and was trying to reset/monitor the I/M codes. I noticed that if I started the car with the Actron code reader attached, the car would stall out. Then It wouldn't want to start. I've never had that kind of trouble before. New batt. Stopped starting the car with the scanner attached, and no more problems starting, and no more P1081. Just P0455, hoses are on order, purge valve and gas cap too (thanks VS and FCP groton).

Good luck.

Bill

• 3 weeks later...

My daughter's car is a S70 1999 (106K miles) and has OBD-II codes P0171 and P1081. She is trying to renew her tags and cannot get a clean emissions test until the codes are clear. I checked it when she was last in town and the vacuum elbow on the intake manifold has disintegrated and is leaking. I have the new vacuum elbow to install when she comes home and suspect the P0171 (System too lean (bank 1)) is the cause for this code. It also failed the gas cap test and I intend to correct this too. The maintneance is up to date on the car and it is in good working order. I was wandering if anyone knows what the P1081 code represents?

Rick

This is an update of the post above. I wanted to provide this post so folks would know the outcome. My daughter's car finally made it back to town on Christmas. I replaced the vacuum elbow and the gas cap (Volvo Gas Cap) and reset the MIL(Check Engine Light) and and the codes and MIL have not returned. When she returns to Nashville she will run it through the emissions test again and hopefully will get a clean test and she can get her tags. Thanks for the input guys.

Rick

Archived