Volvospeed Forums

Lambda Replacement - Heated Oxygen Sensor

Thors Hammer

Hello fellow Volvo enthusiasts,

I searched the forum for information and found various topics related to this theme.

Most everyone complained about the high cost of replacing these sensors.

My local Volvo dealer wanted 200 EUROs just for the sensor, hate to think what the

price including installation would have been :blink:

As 200 EUROs are approx. 250 US$ I searched around the web and discovered that:

a) Bosch is the OEM manufacturer (many of you are aware of this I know.)

B) I could get the Bosch part with connector for 136 EUROs delivered to my home.

c) The Bosch part without the connector I could have delivered for 75 EUROs.

Point c) made it clear that never mind what it would cost over the 200 EUROs to have

the dealer install it I could already save 125 EUROs simply on the part.

So the decision was easy, I ordered the sensor for approx. 100 US$ delivered.

Here's what I got, purchased from an English firm, (made in the USA!)

boschpack.jpg

Here are the contents (more than I expected, thought I'd be soldering and insulating wires:)

boschkit.jpg

The actual removal of the original parts was harder than anything else. This was partially

due to the fact that the old sensor was pretty well baked in place and that the orig. connector

was hard to get at and (without knowing how) difficult to get disconnected.

Most of you have seen the sensor before:

sensorold.jpg

Up and to the left (from below the vehichle) is the connector:

connectorlocation.jpg

To disconnect the connector (as it is nearly impossible to reach or work from below) you will need to attack

from above (I ended up lying accross the motor.) I removed the connector comming off the bottom left corner

of the brake fluid resevoir to make room for my arms. The connector is fitted to a tab.

Slide it off so you can disconnect it easier. The connector is the nastiest I ever encountered

or the most secure if you will and hard to reach. You have to slide a red double pronged key

out sideways to release it, you can push the two male ends in first to get it moving in the right direction first:

connectorrelease.jpg

To remove the sensor you will need to get under the vehicle. As I don't have a lift, I jacked up and

supported the front of the vehicle with jack stands. A pit or lift would make this part easier as you will

need a 22mm wrench to get the old sensor out and they are often very stuborn.

Use penetrating oil, WD40 etc. and let it work in. As I was laying on my back and could not get the

sensor to break loose I used my foot ("putting some ALL GLORY TO THE HYPNOTOAD into it," if you will) as due to the small clearance

there was no chance to apply a cheater bar. Once you have broken the sensor loose, pull the cable free

(a small plastic retainer holds him in place which will pop out and can be re-used,) feed it down to the

sensor and screw the sensor out while turning the cable and connector in unison.

My sensor after removal:

oldconnectorcomplete.jpg

oldconnector.jpg

Now, following the instructions in the kit, you simply cut the connector off with approx. 10cm of wire,

strip the wires, match the complete length of the connector piece and the sensor piece with either the same

or to be safe a bit more say an inch or two. Cut the sensor wire to the measured length and strip it's wires.

Now the neat connectors come in from the kit. The housing is slipped over the wires, then the insulators and then

one connector per wire. This procedure is repeated on the other opposing wires.

So no soldering and complete insulation:

boschconnecting.jpg

boschconnector.jpg

Now we reinstall our assembly:

Screw the new sensor in (I have torque values but went flush and an 1/8th of a turn as due to the wire

I couldn't use standard sockets)

installed.jpg

Feed the cable up to the red-tab connector and reconnect it (secure the plastic wire retainer to the original plug hole)

and secure the connector assembly on the metal tab (my connector lost the tab so I used a plastic tie:)

reconnected.jpg

Reset the Lambda/Check engine light:

reset.jpg

*********************** :) FINISHED :) ******************************************************

Notes:

This kit should be as cheap or cheaper than here being it's made in the USA if you're in North America.

If you are in Europe or just want information (Bosch conversion data, connection info, diagnostic info etc.)

I can highly reccomend this company although I am not affiliated with them in any way:

http://www.lambdasensor.com/

They shipped within 24 hours and answered my emails promptly.

On my car it is a air fuel sensor, i changed mine last week, Volvo wanted £146 + 17.5% vat, about $ 300 that same company you used i got mine delivered for £87 about $160 and was delivered the next day, and it was exactly the same Bosch part,

Gary,

Archived