Volvospeed Forums

Gt Turbo Install

BlackT5

I've been asked by a few people lately about what oil and coolant lines to use when installing a GT turbo.

Fittings for a GT turbo on a T5 motor. I'm sure this will be the same on the 94-97 850 Turbo, T5, T5-R and R, 97 GLT, 98 S/V/C70 T5 and GLT. It's probably the same on the 99+ cars, but i don't know.

The oil return *should* bolt up ..so you'll need oil feed and water lines. I went with the top notch shit, just because I wanted to do it once and not have to worry about any ghetto rig bullshit leaking on me. I bought the Aeroquip stuff locally and the turbo connections from atpturbo.com

This is what I did..

1) GT install kit from ATP (ATP-GTK-001) $70 .... Although you probably won't need the oil drain and gasket... but it gives you the oil inlet restrictor and coolant banjos. I ordered the banjos with the 1/4" NPT.

2) Oil feed to the block.. order an extra GT coolant banjo fitting with 1/4"NPT. It fits the block perfectly. (ATP-FTG-003) $22

3) From the banjo 1/4"NPT , you need an Aeroquip adaptor to connect to the feed line. So.. 1/4" NPT to 4AN fitting.

4) Oil feed line.. I used a 4 ft 4AN line (ATP-OIL-015) $39 This will connect directly to the oil inlet restrictor from the GT install kit.

That is the feed line done. Here's a pic of the feed line parts.

DSC03366.jpg

Water lines: You get the coolant banjos in the install kit.

5) Water feed connects to the water pipe just behind the water pump. I bought 18" of steel braided 8AN line. Cut to fit. I bought a 1/2" clamp and collar to fit the line, so it looks like a standard AN connector. You can just use a hose clamp if you want.

6) Other end of the water line .. 8AN 90 deg fitting and an 8AN to 1/4"NPT adaptor to connect to the coolant banjo coming off the turbo.

7) Water return: connects to the water pipe next to the heater core connection. I bought 12" of steel braided 10AN line. Cut to fit. I bought a 5/8" collar and clamp for the connection to the waterpipe.

8) Other end of the water line.. This is a bit finicky, but use an 8AN 90 deg push fitting that will accept a 10AN line. Use another 5/8" clamp and collar or just a hose clamp. Then use another 8AN to 1/4" NPT fitting to connect to the coolant banjo.

SO haha if you're not lost yet here is the entire list..

from atpturbo..

-GT install kit (ATP-GTK-001)

-extra banjo for the oil feed (ATP-FTG-003)

-4 ft of 4AN line for oil feed (ATP-OIL-015)

from a local store..

-18" of 8AN line

-12" of 10AN line

-2 X 1/4"NPT to 8AN fittings

-1 X 1/4"NPT to 4AN fitting

-1 X 8AN 90 deg push fitting (that will accept a 10AN line)

-1 X 8AN 90 deg fitting

-2 X 5/8" clamp & collar for 10AN line

-1 X 1/2" clamp & collar for 8AN line

and more pics..

GT install kit:

DSC03242.jpg

Coolant lines and fittings:

DSC03412.jpg

Clamps and collars:

DSC03414.jpg

90 deg fittings and 8AN to 1/4"NPT fittings:

DSC03417.jpg

Hope that helps :)

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

nice post .. this should help out more than a few people

what is the total cost of everything tho?

I think it works out to 200-250USD? I'll have to go home and look at my reciepts.

Again, you can get the oil feed line for cheaper than atp, you probably don't need the oil drain that comes in the install kit, and i'm sure the prices of the Aeroquip stuff varies.

Archived