Volvospeed Forums

Cv Boot Kit

Geevs

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

This is the new EMPI axle link. New Axle

I agree...don't bother with a CV boot kit...it's 2/5 hours of labor you'll have to pay for, or more.

Buy an axle and be done with it...30mins labor- tops.

I got my axle from www.raxles.com (you'll have to call them- talk to Marty).

Geevs i'll second the replacing of the whole axel...

The inner is made out of the same material and yes sees less road abuse (sand, rocks e/t/c) but will still be nears its shelf life

In addition to the wear on the actual axel parts

Hey thanks to all. Looks like a new axle is the way to go. Is this something that is DIY? I have never done this before but have done front and rear shocks and springs.

I recall raxles.com mentioned here several times so they must be good but I also recall reading that they are rebuilt and cost more than the new EMPIs at the above Eeuroparts link. AutohauzAZ has the EMPI for even less. Anyone use EMPI axles? What about DSS axles? FCP now carries this brand for $119 new without core charge, supposedly exceeds OEM specs:

http://fcpgroton.com/volvo850driveline.htm#rearbearing

Thanks!

Hey thanks to all. Looks like a new axle is the way to go. Is this something that is DIY? I have never done this before but have done front and rear shocks and springs.

This is an easy job to do, it just takes some penetrating oil to get the ball point out from the hub, then two 12mm bolts to take the carrier off and its free. probably an hour job on the ground if the ball joint isnt to stuck. i believe its a 30mm to take axle off the hub, haha i just did it today but i cant remember the numbers. Anyway with a little bit of your time you should be perfectly fine doing it yourself.

Thanks for the advise. Funny that we are experiencing the same probs - dropped white injectors doing PCV, now replacing axle due to CV boot. Anyway, PMed you about your injectors.

haha i didnt even notice the name, i was just shooting the stuff on here. anyway nope the last time i did the CV joints was my 5spd swap. I work around the CV joints almost every other day on other cars besides mine, getting that control arm free is a PITA, thats why MAC tools invented a special pry bar:)

P.S. I dont even need the white injectors at the moment, but who can pass them up for free right?

This is an easy job to do, it just takes some penetrating oil to get the ball point out from the hub, then two 12mm bolts to take the carrier off and its free. probably an hour job on the ground if the ball joint isnt to stuck. i believe its a 30mm to take axle off the hub, haha i just did it today but i cant remember the numbers. Anyway with a little bit of your time you should be perfectly fine doing it yourself.

be careful with that ball joint though, if you mushroom it you will be breaking out a hacksaw and a file... Pickle fork anyone? PB blaster is your friend for this job, a lot of it.

Archived