Volvospeed Forums

Start!

General Disarray

This morning I went to go start my 93... and nothing. It's cranking and the car shakes with the motor trying to stay running but it dies with less than a second of running. When I keep the key over to start it will just keep cranking and trying to start. I took the intake tube off to try spraying intake cleaner into the throttle body and there was steam coming out and oil along the sides of the tube. Does anyone have any ideas as to what is wrong?

Thanks for any help.

Sounds like the 'lawn mower syndrome'. You can search for this. Essentially, the engine doesn't liked to be started up for few minutes at a time and doesn't get a chance to warm up. It loses compression and thus you may be experiencing the result.

Remove the spark plugs for a tablespoonful of oil in each cylinder, replace the spark plugs and crank away with the pedal to the metal until she fires up. Do not let up as she sputters. She should start up, runs rough but eventually smoothens out. Take it for a nice drive to clear up the excess fuel and to warm it up.

Thanks for the help. I found my smoke cloud over 4 blocks away while out driving it. I could barely see pulling out. haha. I also had a few of my neighbors out looking.

Just experienced the same thing with my car. I have built engines professionally and have wrenched on cars for more than 30 years and have never had the "Stupid" problems I have had with my 850T5. I am now quite confident that Microsoft has secretly bought Volvo. Pour some oil in the cyliders and "Reboot." I'm glad you got your car going again and BTW, my neighbors loved the smoke cloud too!

I used to post under a diferent name and I have been coming to this site for five years. I've done the Evaporator, ABS, Purge valve, Timing belts and valve job due to a burned valve and the list goes on and had it not been for this site I would have sold this car years ago. Thanks all who help out!

Archived