Volvospeed Forums

T5 Head Flow Data

As you may know the head is a major player in power. If it cannot flow x amount then the power is limited to flow. We at Vms have done detailed flow chart of my 01 T5 Head. This way we can see at what lift the max cfm can be reached. Here is the data Given.

Intake

Lift Cfm

.100 86

.200 140

.300 180

.400 190

Exhuast:

.100 72

.200 136

.300 156

.400 160

.450 162

Now You must have your your cams specs to see where max lift is. on the 99> i beleive our cams are differnt but max out around .350 so going to .400 as seen would not yield much in a power gain without doing port and valve work to the motor. Now we have After numbers we can see what lift we would be. So Basicly this could also be posted as a answer to " Would cams help My Car" . As seen no unless you open the head up and increase Cfm at a higher lift point.

The stock volvo T5 are a very nice. These stock flow number are VERY good and there is room to improve on the head without hogging it out or removing excess material that would decrease the strength of the head. I hope this answers some of the cam questions as well. I will soon post after numbers as we have them avalible to us.

Correct but from what i have read about the Bosch VVT is its mainly used to smooth starts and idle. I dont think it plays too much of a role in making power in the high rpm range. I have some Me7 data stuff and Torque Based system articals somewhere i can share. But now we have numbers to work with.

I was told that on the non turbos it was mainly an emissions thing, but on the turbos it was a power thing.

I guess my point is that if you are going to change a mechanical part, that is controlled by a computer, it is a must to know what the computer is doing with your mechanical part.

Archived