Volvospeed Forums

Hvac Floor Heat Repair

mikeR

Last weekend I got around to taking my dash apart to replace what i hopefully thought was broken, the floor/defroster air door. The part, 6802372-0 was $6 from volvo, and fixed my no floor heat issue. This is the 2nd 850 ive done for this, and i believe it may be quite common. Its similar to an evaporator replacement, though not as involved. You can see the dash has to come all the way out:

mike003-1.jpg

From here you split the box to remove the flap, which gets broken and stuck in the defrost position. You can see how it sits in this pic

mike002.jpg

The issue seems to be the plastic breaks on the square steel shaft from the damper motor. In my case the motor still worked, it just didnt move the door.

mike001.jpg

It will help if you initally shut the car off with the HVAC system in the floor mode, for most likely thats were the flaps are going to be. Also, do not key on the car without the drivers airbag installed, or it will throw a srs code. It took me about 6 hrs., but a friend could help in reinstalling the entire dash and lining everything up. Its kind of alot of work, but in the end, my feet are now warm.

Remove the glovebox liner and it's (black box) to the left of the opening. Look at the picture and see where the damper motor is? Imagine where the glovebox liner is located but removed. It's much easier with the dash apart though.

Yes, that is true for just the motor, but to replace the shutter door you must remove it all.

Hope MINE never breaks..That looks like a major PITA!

More power to ya!

Fffff Me, the car only has two bugs, the turbo oil return line Oring and the Cold Foot syndrome.

I really dont want to yank the entire dash apart, there must be a way to repair short of that.

On the damper door, was the broken plastic at the motor end only, or both ends? If the peices of plastic are still around, then some good adhesive along with 2-3 tie wraps on the outside of the shaft might make it repairable.

So the MOTOR is on the passenger side, you pull the glove box and its inner liner on the left, can you remove the motor and acces the damaged shaft for repair through the glovebox hole.

Think IMPROVISE here, want function not spiffy 100% perfect factory repair.

Seems to happen to alot of 850, etc. Should be a recall, yes? :blink:

Archived