Volvospeed Forums

Mass Air Sensor Tips

BEART5

Guest 850T-5

Here are my personal AMM/MAF tips and recomendations in case it helps anyone

1. If you get a possible AMM type failure, AMM code, possible AMM failure symptoms or lack of power where everything else checks out, always try cleaning first then reset code.

2. To clean simply pull the unit and spray the sensor eliment generiously with rubbing alcohol or electronics cleaner like CRC. Don't touch the eliment because it is very delicate.

3. I'd recommend cleaning every once and a while as described above especially if running a K&N or any other oiled filter, which may slowly contaminate the sensor causing AMM failure like symptoms. This typically occurs if improperly oiled and/or grossly overoiled. K&N's or the filter oil DO NOT kill AMM's, the oil can simply contaminate the sensor eliment, especially if improperly oiled and/or overoiled and needs to be cleaned.

4. When running a K&N or any oiled filter and you clean and reoil the filter, NEVER oil from the top of the airbox filter or inside of the cone filter because excess oil is far more likely to contaminate the AMM sensor eliment. Also DO NOT grossly overoil these reusable filters. Using a K&N and improperly or grossly overoiling is a number one cause of contamination and AMM problems.

5. If your vehicle has a preheated setup like 700's/900's, NA 850's have, 960's, S/V 90's, make sure the preheated airbox thermostat isn't sticking open routing preheated air in from the top of the exhaust manifold or piping, which will fry your AMM over time, as it stays open and doesn't close after warmed up. This is the number one real killer of AMM's on Volvos. Unfortunately the airbox thermostat tends to be unreliable, where I'd recommend removing the airbox, cutting the preheated air inlet flap clean off and capping off the preheated inlet with a plumbers cap available at most hardware stores. This could save your AMM. Usually, if you cap the preheated inlet off and pull the preheated hose completely, most SMOG techs won't even notice or care.

---------------------------------------------------------------------

In response to the ebay Airflow Sensor tips . . . .

I think putting the whole thing in a bag and filling it with rubbing alcohol is overkill and not necessary.

There is no need to use a hair dryer to dryer because rubbing alcohol and electronics parts cleaner dries quickly.

Also putting tape in it to trick it? Almost always it's a dirty or contaminated eliment, even if it "looks" clean. Otherwise it is fried internally where it needs replacing and tape usually isn't going to help.

Archived