Volvospeed Forums

Best Way To Remove Coolant From Carpet

RAzOR

And a lot of it. I think I overfilled the reservoir, came down from the mountains and it blew past the o-rings that connect to the heater core. Somehow it just ran down into the floor pan of the driver's side and the carpet under the mat is just soaked to hell. And it's like 90% coolant so it won't evaporate any time soon.

Any tips/tricks. etc greatly appreciated.

I tried this on an old VW: bucket of very hot water and plenty (and I mean plenty) of regular dish soap (Dawn, or whatever else floats your boat). I used a thick plastic brush and lots of elbow grease.

I then mopped it all up as best as I could and wet vac'ed the entire carpet. Smell and grimy/slippery feel were gone and carpet looked good as new.

I was on a student budget, the whole thing cost me less than $10 but took over 3 hours.

industrial carpet cleaner, stiff brush. make sure you do one area at a time. when you have the stain removed, take the shop vac to it to get all the fluids out. detailed a couple cars that had nastier stains than coolant, so that should work just fine.

Thanks all. I get out the wet vac, hot water, and soap.

If it's REALLY bad, You can always pull the carpet all the way out.

Then just blitz it with soap and hot water, beat it on a rock, rinse

thororughly and repeat. Wring all the water out of it and let dry.

Had a problem with cat pee once. That's what it finally took...

had same problem. removed seats, carpet, and pads, front and rear. had to throw out the pads, made new ones with foil backed padding. carpet cleaned the carpets, replaced o rings, put it all back together. Wish I had washed the duct-work too. Now I always seem to smell AF!

Wish I had washed the duct-work too. Now I always seem to smell AF!

I had a 20 oz. holiday egg nog latte sitting on the dash of my 240 and tipped it

backwards into the defroster vents...This was first thing in the am, so I got

to take the morning off and pulled seats, carpet, padding, floor drain plugs

and I just dumped 5-10 gallons of steaming hot soapy water down the ducts

and followd up with about the same amount of fresh hot water to rinse it.

It STILL smelled noggy for a month or so, but it DID go away.

I wish I would have thought of the vineger thing... Good Idea!

Depending on how bad it really is and how much work you want to put into it I have done it 2 ways.

1)Pull the carpet and hose it down several times and allow it to air dry.

2)Pour several cups of hot soapy water onto the floor with the carpet in. Saturate the carpet. Vacuum out with a shop vac. Rinse and repeat several times. :D

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks guys.

I had a puddle of coolant in the drivers side footwell for about two weeks from leaking o-rings at the heater core.

To clean:

1. Pulled up carpet and vacuumed with a wet vac under and top of carpet.

2. Sprayed with a solvent cleaner like 409. LOTS. Top and underside.

3. Layed carpet back down and poured about a quart of hot water o top.

4. Vaccum up top and underside.

repeated about three times and the carpet cleaned right up.

Thanks for all the help!!

What worked for me when I did the heatercore in my '88 745T is . . . .

First pulled the seats, carpet and padding completely (it's the only way to do it properly) . . . .

Vacuuming the carpet and padding with a fairly powerful wet/dry vac first

Using paper towels to blot any excess wetness

Dryed any excess from the floorpan, sprayed down with simple green to clean all the coolant residue off

Then using a carpet cleaner attachment from a carpet cleaner (like one of those $99-$129 Bissels or Hoover upright carpet cleaners, which are also great to have around the house or carpet clean the car anyway). Used hot water and carpet cleaning solution, fully shampoo'd and steam cleaned the carpets. The carpet cleaner was a good investment anway because I've used it to clean the carpet in 3 different cars and do the house about 3 times. Places I called wanted like $89 to do the car.

Then I let dry in the sun for a little while, also went over it with a hair drier aimed a few inches away to help dry

After reinstalled and double checked everything, ran the heat on high (floor setting) being they were still a bit damp, cracked the rear windows just a tad to vent the moisture out.

They were like brand new, was like a completely professional cleaning job . . . .

Archived