Volvospeed Forums

Can I Use Syn Oil With An Engine Over 68k Miles?

Guest Guest_bobo_*

Guest Guest_bobo_*

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I always heard not to use it pass 40k miles but I noticed some people said even Volvo tech have told people with over 80k to use it. Just wondering what's your opinions.

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I always heard not to use it pass 40k miles but I noticed some people said even Volvo tech have told people with over 80k to use it. Just wondering what's your opinions.

Urban legend. Use it with confidence. Absolutely no evidence not to. I did with 43K on the car, now have 58K and no oil consumption at all. Didn't have any before either. Good deals on Pennzoil Platinum right now at Advance Auto if one is near you. Or go to Walmart and get the 5 quart jug of Mobil 1 for $22. Sump will take 6 quarts so get one quart on the side as well. After 7500 miles, drop it out and do it again.

great to hear that. I used it on my 850 t-5 and later on it was leaking but then I found out the return line seal was worn out so atleast i found the culprit

I thought it only cxomes with 4 quarts a 1 gallon jug which would come out to $5.50 a quart. local auto parts I can get it at $4.48 per quart mobil syn

Thought wrong. Walmart (for the second time) sells 5 quart jugs for $22 for Mobil 1 5/30. Or buy from local auto parts store for much more. Obviously you are not familiar that Walmart has the lowest oil prices in the US

Thought wrong. Walmart (for the second time) sells 5 quart jugs for $22 for Mobil 1 5/30. Or buy from local auto parts store for much more. Obviously you are not familiar that Walmart has the lowest oil prices in the US

Along with so many other things at such low prices! How do they do it? <_<

You won't have issues switching over to syn, especially Mobil 1 since it isn't a true full-synthetic.

Along with so many other things at such low prices! How do they do it? <_<

You won't have issues switching over to syn, especially Mobil 1 since it isn't a true full-synthetic.

if it isn't full syn then go with Castrol syn or amsoil? I heard mobil syn is better than amsoil and they helped amsoil with there syn way back

According to Mobil, Mobil 1 is a full synthetic:

"Is Mobil 1 with SuperSyn Technology a fully synthetic motor oil?"

"Yes, it is. To meet the demanding requirements of today's specifications (and our customers' expectations), Mobil 1 with SuperSyn uses high-performance fluids, including polyalphaolefins (PAOs), along with a proprietary system of additives. Each Mobil 1 with SuperSyn viscosity grade uses a unique combination of synthetic fluids and selected additives in order to tailor the viscosity grade to its specific application. "

Source: http://www.mobil1.com/USA-English/MotorOil...FAQs.aspx#FAQs1

According to Mobil, Mobil 1 is a full synthetic:

"Is Mobil 1 with SuperSyn Technology a fully synthetic motor oil?"

Source: http://www.mobil1.com/USA-English/MotorOil...FAQs.aspx#FAQs1

I guess if "fully synthetic" means PAO base oils then people now suspect Mobil changed the mix somewhat. Been discussed to death on www.bobistheoilguy.com. Jury still out. Mobil 1 I am sure, is still a pretty good oil. Supposedly 100% PAO synthetic oils are some brands of Amsoil, all Redline and German Castrol syntec. Maybe Redline and Royal Purple too. Don't know for sure.

If you are going for 5K oil changes and over, using "synthetic" is probably a good idea with Turbos. Most dino oils are much better than even 4 years ago. I got some Pennzoil Platinum on a good price and that will be my next change. I change around 5 to 7 anyway. Currently have Mobil 1 EP in there and still looks good to my eye at 5000 miles. Will change at 8K just for the heck of it and do a UOA.

i heard pennzoil sucks. look at the link

http://www.volvoxc.com/forums/showthread.php?t=9338

that's funny. that's like a 30 year old urban myth. they have raved about this oil and Pennzoi dino on the thread I referenced previously. WWW. bobistheoilguy.com. Read it and come to your own conclusions. Not a 30 year old urban myth.

I read the thread you referenced. May be the stupidist thread on oil I have read in quite sometime. Tufoil is teflon and proven to screw up your engine. Stay away from that. he mentions two other stupid things that are baseless. Oil addivitives are usually bad, and shouldn't be used. There is certainly enough additives in your motor oil that will protect well.

I can't believe anyone would bite into what the guy that spells synthetic with and X is saying. Too funny

Archived