Volvospeed Forums

Cel Codes Help

jpursell

1995 Volvo 850 GLT Wagon N/A

My CEL came on a couple weeks ago, took it to local parts store for an OBDII reading. Code was "Vehicle Speed Sensor Malfunction" p0500.

The DTC under the hood gives a 2-3-2 (Speedometer signal missing) and a 1-1-4 (Program selector open circuit or short circuit to supply).

When light originally came on, the arrow on the dash was flashing, and seemed to be stuck in limp mode, I restarted the car, and everything has been fine except for the CEL.

Any help as to the cause would be great!

Thanks.

All of the hall effect sensors (Speed, Camshaft & Crankshaft) can get weak. They reach a point where the pulse that they generate isn't a high enough voltage for the ECU to reliably decide whether that was a pulse or not. They will check out OK with an ohmmeter test and still be bad. It will only continue to get worse so I would replace it.

...Lee

All of the hall effect sensors (Speed, Camshaft & Crankshaft) can get weak. They reach a point where the pulse that they generate isn't a high enough voltage for the ECU to reliably decide whether that was a pulse or not. They will check out OK with an ohmmeter test and still be bad. It will only continue to get worse so I would replace it.

...Lee

wait...

1. Neither the Crank sensor or the VSS is an hall effect sensor.

2. Hall effect sensors dont produce any voltage at all.

on top of that, your saying that he should replace the VSS on top of the trans for this problem? hmm....I would like more info. Does the speedometer work all the time?

wait...

1. Neither the Crank sensor or the VSS is an hall effect sensor.

2. Hall effect sensors dont produce any voltage at all.

on top of that, your saying that he should replace the VSS on top of the trans for this problem? hmm....I would like more info. Does the speedometer work all the time?

Yes, the speedo has always remained working. Also, when I used the OBDII scanner, it would say no faults found, then, I'd turn the car on and off and back to position II and then the code would show up. The CEL has remained on since the 1 time it showed some symptoms, even when I've cleared the codes it comes back on.

Archived