Volvospeed Forums

Head/cam Cover Removal

viperman135

I'm thinking about removing my head/cam cover to clean off the nasty looking yellow glue stuff and paint the cover. Any trick to removing it? What do I need to re-torque the bolts to? Any advise on what to use to remove the glue stuff with? Also does any have/know where I can find the part number for a new gasket for the cover. I figure if its off I might as well replace that gasket. Thank you for the help.

I'm thinking about removing my head/cam cover to clean off the nasty looking yellow glue stuff and paint the cover. Any trick to removing it? What do I need to re-torque the bolts to? Any advise on what to use to remove the glue stuff with? Also does any have/know where I can find the part number for a new gasket for the cover. I figure if its off I might as well replace that gasket. Thank you for the help.

Just be careful when removing the cover. I undid all of the bolts a little bit and carefully pried the cover up on each of the tabs. You will hear the sealant break away and the cover will start to pop up. Loosen the bots a little more, but just be sure the cover is coming up evenly all the way around. Eventually you will see there is no tension and you can just remove the bolts and take it off.

Torque spec on the bolts is like 18ft/lbs? i'd have to double check the manual, but you should work from the manual, just so you're not missing anything.

For the glue stuff, i actually used a small scraper/razorblade. It says not to because you can damage the mating surfaces, but i didn't have any "gasket remover" and brake clean just wasn't doing much.

You will want to change the cam seals and spark plug o-rings while it's apart. The sealant stuff i got was ordered with the gasket set i bought. There is no "gasket" that's why you couldn't find a part number. It's a liquid sealant. It's the stuff you're going to be cleaning off both mating surfaces for a few hours :)

DSC04085.jpg

It's also a good time to replace your timing belt since it has to come off anyways. Oh, and I would recommend you fab up a cam holding tool like I did (it's in the link posted above) It will make your life much easier. here's the pic of it..

DSC04097.jpg

DSC04087.jpg

Wow. Thanks a lot for your help. Im going to look in to getting those cam seals and spark plug o-rings. How much should those cost give or take? Also where did you get that gasket glue stuff? I'm a little confused about your cam holding tool. How does that work? Does it fit on the end of the cam where the gears are? I guessing the purpose of the device is to keep the cam at the same setting that it was one you took it out of the engine. Right? Thanks a lot for your help. This looks like it might end up being a fun little spring break project.

Wow. Thanks a lot for your help. Im going to look in to getting those cam seals and spark plug o-rings. How much should those cost give or take? Also where did you get that gasket glue stuff? I'm a little confussed about your cam holding tool. How does that work? Does it fit on the end of the cam where the gears are? I guessing the purpose of the device is to keep the cam at the same setting that it was one you took it out of the engine. Right? Thanks a lot for your help. This looks like it might end up being a fun little spring break project.

The cam seals and spark plug rings are pretty cheap. Groton sells the plug rings for $0.65 each. I don't know how much the cam seals are because I got them in a package. Probably not much.

The cam tool fits on the drivers side. When you take off the distributor and cam position sensor, you'll see this..

DSC03986.jpg

They should be in a straight line.. mine were a little off but it didn't matter cause I was swapping cams.

The tool holds the cams in place so they don't rotate. On the cam gear end, you can use some wire to hold them up against the cam cover. It shows this in the manual, i forgot to get a picture of it.

Yeah, get a Haynes manual ... it covers it pretty well. It shows you how to fab the tools also, or you can drop $$ on the tools like I did ... but I've done this three times so it was worth it and I may need to do it again in the future. Personally I don't think it's worth all the trouble just to paint the cover.

Yeah, get a Haynes manual ... it covers it pretty well. It shows you how to fab the tools also, or you can drop $$ on the tools like I did ... but I've done this three times so it was worth it and I may need to do it again in the future. Personally I don't think it's worth all the trouble just to paint the cover.

Thanks guys. Just out of curiosity were did you get the tool? During break I think I'm going to do PVC, flush the radiator and try out this little project while everything is apart. Were do I find that gasket stuff? Thank for your help.

Thanks guys. Just out of curiosity were did you get the tool? During break I think I'm going to do PVC, flush the radiator and try out this little project while everything is apart. Were do I find that gasket stuff? Thank for your help.

I'm not sure what they charge for the tool, but you can make one for $10-15.

For the sealant... you can get it at the dealer, or probably online

Archived