Volvospeed Forums

Worn Struts- Dangerous?

ragtopcuda

I guess it depends on how you drive. But I don't think it would any real danger, unless you really sway back and forth like a boat when you stop or corner the car.

I have an 850 wagon that has bad struts. I can hear them squeak/clunk on bumps and corners and they are a bit loose when wiggled from the top. Problem is that we live in an apartment and I won't be able to replace them for about 4 months. Any danger to keep driving this way? Thanks!

Are you sure it's the struts, what you're describing is a bad upper shock plate, and possibly end links, not struts.

If it's what I think it is, go get it fixed, you could break something in 4 months if it's already that bad. $150 max and you're done at most shops. If you have some extra $$ burning your pocket, have them replace the struts too since they'll already have them out. Is this for the front, or the rear ?

Are you sure it's the struts, what you're describing is a bad upper shock plate, and possibly end links, not struts.

If it's what I think it is, go get it fixed, you could break something in 4 months if it's already that bad. $150 max and you're done at most shops. If you have some extra $$ burning your pocket, have them replace the struts too since they'll already have them out. Is this for the front, or the rear ?

It is the front. When I grab the knob/nut on top and wiggle it around, it is a bit sloppy. I can also move it up and down slightly.

It is the front. When I grab the knob/nut on top and wiggle it around, it is a bit sloppy. I can also move it up and down slightly.

Someone else can chime in and confirm, but I'd bet money it your shock mount plates and not your strut. If you can do it by hand like that, you should consider getting it fixed sooner rather than later.

Fill in your location and hopefully someone will be close to you and offer to help.

Someone else can chime in and confirm, but I'd bet money it your shock mount plates and not your strut. If you can do it by hand like that, you should consider getting it fixed sooner rather than later.

Fill in your location and hopefully someone will be close to you and offer to help.

its irrelevant b/c the strut needs to come out anyway...

you have to pull the struts to do the spring seats and the strut mount. I doubt the strut mount is bad, but your spring seat is shot which is why shock assy moves around. The spring seat is just soft rubber.

You should go ahead and replace the front shock/strut assy since its already apart.

Like was said where is your location

Edit I also have a perfectly good set of strut mounts you can have for 20 shipped if you want to replace them as well, they do fail, but not very often I have heard. They are 100+from FCP

its irrelevant b/c the strut needs to come out anyway...

you have to pull the struts to do the spring seats and the strut mount. I doubt the strut mount is bad, but your spring seat is shot which is why shock assy moves around. The spring seat is just soft rubber.

You should go ahead and replace the front shock/strut assy since its already apart.

Like was said where is your location

Edit I also have a perfectly good set of strut mounts you can have for 20 shipped if you want to replace them as well, they do fail, but not very often I have heard. They are 100+from FCP

Thanks for the feedback all- I am located in Northwest Houston.

Archived