Volvospeed Forums

S70 T5 Oil Leaks

BlueMustang

My 98 S70 T5 with ~195K miles is leaking oil. It's all on the backside of the engine and fixing it is overdue. I'm certain the Oil Return line is leaking due to oil on the bottom of the turbo. It also appears that the oil pan itself is leaking, but only on the back of the engine. To fix it, I intend on dropping the pan as well accomplishing the turbo return line fix. Questions are as follows:

1. Since I am dropping the pan, is there any thing else I should do while the pan is off? Should I do the "Oil Pan O-Ring Fix"? Which gaskets should I replace?

2. Besides the 2 places mentioned (pan and return line), where else could the oil be coming from? What about the turbo feed line? How do I check?

3. Anything else?

Thanks. Jim B.

P.S. I cannot find the Volvo "liquid gasket" stuff on FCP's page. Do I need to "request it" special?

I doubt the oil pan is leaking. It's not a common leak point whereas the turbo oil return line leaks on all turbos at some point in time. When the oil return line leaks it will blow around and look as though the oil pan is leaking. If I were you I would just replace the oil return line and clean it up real good and see if it's still leaking. It's better than even odds that it won't be.

I doubt the oil pan is leaking. It's not a common leak point whereas the turbo oil return line leaks on all turbos at some point in time. When the oil return line leaks it will blow around and look as though the oil pan is leaking. If I were you I would just replace the oil return line and clean it up real good and see if it's still leaking. It's better than even odds that it won't be.

You took my exact words and spoke them with an eloquence I couldn't have furthered myself. ;)

If your referring to the 'turbo oil return gasket', it's about $3 or $4 from FCP or eeuroparts. Its basically a little 'o' ring and a tiny gasket. Takes about 15 minutes to fix including jack time.

I let mine go for about 6 months before replaceing. If I had realized how cheap/easy it was, I'd have done it the first sign of a drop.

No, the rear main seal is original as far as I know. So, that's another potential, huh? Gotta yank the tranny to do that? Great...

Jim B.

Yes, it is a major pain in the ass...The usual price people pay to have it done is between $800-$1200. Unfortunately these seals cant last forever <_< ...Pictures would help us identify the problem as well.

My 98 S70 T5 with ~195K miles is leaking oil. It's all on the backside of the engine and fixing it is overdue. I'm certain the Oil Return line is leaking due to oil on the bottom of the turbo. It also appears that the oil pan itself is leaking, but only on the back of the engine. To fix it, I intend on dropping the pan as well accomplishing the turbo return line fix. Questions are as follows:

1. Since I am dropping the pan, is there any thing else I should do while the pan is off? Should I do the "Oil Pan O-Ring Fix"? Which gaskets should I replace?

2. Besides the 2 places mentioned (pan and return line), where else could the oil be coming from? What about the turbo feed line? How do I check?

3. Anything else?

Thanks. Jim B.

P.S. I cannot find the Volvo "liquid gasket" stuff on FCP's page. Do I need to "request it" special?

When you refer to the rear of the engine, do you really mean the rear? or the firewall side? It would make a difference.

When you refer to the rear of the engine, do you really mean the rear? or the firewall side? It would make a difference.

I mean the side of the engine closest to the firewall. There is oil all along the lower/middle of the engine nearest the firewall. All of the pan bolts (closest to the firewall) are wet with oil. No oil on the pan bolts facing forward. Does that make sense?

Jim B.

Yes, it is a major pain in the jerk...The usual price people pay to have it done is between $800-$1200. Unfortunately these seals cant last forever <_< ...Pictures would help us identify the problem as well.

Sheesh, for $1200 I can buy lots of oil ... Not sure I want to fix the rear main (if that's the problem) on a car with ~200K. I want the car to last another ~2 years (~50K miles) and then we intend on replacing it. It's mama's car and we "may" go for a current generation V70R (used) as a replacement.

I change the oil every 5K and I'd "guess" there is less than 1 quart missing every oil change, so the oil loss doesn't seem *that* bad.

I hope less leaks when I fix the Turbo Return Line - parts on order from FCP.

Sheesh, for $1200 I can buy lots of oil ... Not sure I want to fix the rear main (if that's the problem) on a car with ~200K. I want the car to last another ~2 years (~50K miles) and then we intend on replacing it. It's mama's car and we "may" go for a current generation V70R (used) as a replacement.

I change the oil every 5K and I'd "guess" there is less than 1 quart missing every oil change, so the oil loss doesn't seem *that* bad.

I hope less leaks when I fix the Turbo Return Line - parts on order from FCP.

I'm with the guy above who suggested you rproblem is most likely related to the turbo seal alone. I would change it out and wash the area down well and watch it. The rear seal probably isn;t the culprit if it's the firewall side of the engine. Good luck.

I have the same problem.... oil all over valve cover side in back, right above the turbo or right below the intercooler piping, "firewall side" it's dripping enough to smoke on the turbo. not rear main seal, no oil in the flywheel port, turbo oil return gasket dry. Could it be a valve cover gasket? sigh.. <_< i too have to add that to the to do list.

Archived