Volvospeed Forums

Blue Guages

tubalcain

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Let me just explain what the original plan was. I was not going to make full gauge clusters. You would keep your old cluster and use my overlays ontop of the gauge faces you guys have now. Basically, they can be anodized to match the R or painted or left plain, whatever you want, and then you install them similar to how you would install trim rings. This would give you the look of an R cluster without having to actually swap clusters.

The main reason for this was so I could use it on my Yazaki clusters which can't be swapped for R versions.

So as it stands, the major issue is how big the center hole has to be for the needles. No one has given me a strong confirmation that the needles are or are not easily removable. If they aren't removable, the center hole will have to be large enough to pass over the needle during install.

The secondary issue is how many people have or will be running trim rings with these verses how many will not. The outter diameter will likely change depending on if the overlay will share the cluster with a set of rings or not.

If you guys seriously want this and want to keep the price low, make me a life-size .bmp file of each gauge face. I need the outter diam and illuminated areas to be pretty exact. My lasers can only cut from .bmp, so whatever you use, make sure to convert it when you're done.

I think this sounds like a great idea, I'd love this on the S80. I'll see if I can take some pics this Saturday and send them to you.

Also, how much are you thinking about selling these for if I supplied the pics for the measurements?

I think this sounds like a great idea, I'd love this on the S80. I'll see if I can take some pics this Saturday and send them to you.

Also, how much are you thinking about selling these for if I supplied the pics for the measurements?

If the S80's cluster is different than the X70s (which I'm almost sure it is) than your single-piece cost will be high. You'd be looking at a couple hundred bucks simply due to you paying for the entire optical setup time. Cut time cost is actually very cheap in comparison to optical setup time. If more people went in with you, the cost would then be distributed, obviously.

If I charge, just for instance, $300 for setup and $20 per set, you figure that with 10 guys on board, you're only paying $70 a set, which is actually less than trim rings which Slater charges $80 or $90 for.

Archived