Volvospeed Forums

How To Clean Maf On S/v40 (1996-2004)

Even though this write up is specify for the x40 models, it it's the same process for all car. Therefore, if can apply the same principle to all Volvo model.

First, you need one of this can...$5.99 at your local Schucks/Kragen store. Look closely and you'll see it claim to gain 4-10HP on the can :P

Maf2.jpg

Locate your MAF sensor connector on the air intake

Maf1.jpg

Push the metal clip downward to pull the connector out.

Maf3.jpg

Put something underneath the sensor connector to cover the overspray fluid. I just use newspaper but you can use anything you want (cardboard). Give it a 1-2 quick spray then let it hang dry

Maf4.jpg

I also did 1-2 quick spray on the connection of the MAF sensor on the intake

Maf7.jpg

I move on to the next sensor connector on the IC. Use a small flat screw driver to pull the clip out of the socket.

Maf5.jpg

The other sensor connector on the IC.

Maf6.jpg

Pull 4 metal clip holding the airbox together out.

Maf8.jpg

Use phillip screwdriver to untighten the clamp to the intake hose.

Maf9.jpg

Unclip the tab holding those hose to the airbox.

Maf10.jpg

Now, all you got left is the top of the airbox with the MAF sensor located inside the housing. Mine is pretty clean so I just gave it 2-3 quick spray for 1-2 seconds. On the bottle said to spray about 10-15 times. I think you'll need that if your S40 got 200K and the MAF never got clean.

Maf11.jpg

After the cleaning, let those sensor connector hang or point them downward direction so those fluid can dry out and evaporate.

Give it a good 5-10 minutes before you reconnect them. Temperature inside my garage was about 80degree so it dry really quick. Use your judgement when you can tell it's been dry enough to connect them back again.

Archived