Volvospeed Forums

'86 740 Gl Wagon, No Keys

Volvo740WagonNewbie

Good Evening,

I have just purchased my first Volvo, an '86 740GL Wagon. It was purchased from a police auction and I have no keys for it.

What are my options for getting keys made?

If I give the dealer the serial number can they create a new key(s) for me? Is the ignition key the same as the door key? The doors are open and I found some of the original car documentation in the glove box, but nothing regarding the key(s). I was hoping I might find a key-code (or something) that could be used to create the key(s).

Is my only option to get a locksmith to re-key the car?

Thank you in advance for your assistance.

Rob

Guest turbobricks

Good Evening,

I have just purchased my first Volvo, an '86 740GL Wagon. It was purchased from a police auction and I have no keys for it.

If I give the dealer the serial number can they create a new key(s) for me? Is the ignition key the same as the door key? The doors are open and I found some of the original car documentation in the glove box, but nothing regarding the key(s). I was hoping I might find a key-code (or something) that could be used to create the key(s).

Rob

turbobricks.com

Why is it whenever someone with a rwd car comes on to VOLVOspeed we tell them to go to turbobricks. iirc we have a rwd section. and a very knowledgable mod. its a simple question about keys.

anyway i think the dealer can send your vin to the factory in sweden and get the keys (at least for newer cars) but if all else fails you could go to the junk yard and get a ignition tumbler and the door locks and just switch it over

I find the Volvo dealer is the simplest route, should normally be at or under 15$ for a key. All locks will respond to the same key, with the exception that if the key is cut from a valet type key blank, this valet key will not operate the glove box or trunk (or cargo floor storage lock in the wagon). Also note that the valet key usually has a smaller plastic head.

Otherwise a competent locksmith should be able to make you a key.

• 3 weeks later...

Good Evening,

Rob

The key code is usually found stamped on a small metal thing like a dog tag. If you don't have this you don't have the key code.

I don't think the dealer keeps a database of everyones key codes on hand.

Any locksmith worth his title can make you a key weather you have the code or not.

If I knew where you were at, I'd offer to do it for you.

hiyo,,, if the stealership cant look up the code call a locksmith i know i can make a key by hand to that car in less than 30 min. any good competent locksmith should be able to do the same... idk how much you'd be looking at due to regional diferences. but its not all that difficult... and bytheby some manufactures dont hold records back that far. gm. only has back to the mid 90s on there vehicles back to the 70's on caddies due to a fire in a storage whare house where they kept the keys code info

• 2 weeks later...

I recently was helping someone with this issue.

It was a 240 but chances are that the 740 is the same. The dealer couldn't do anything because of the age.

The locksmith needed the drivers side door lock to make a ignition key. Why I don't know.

It's easy to remove, just take off the door panel and remove the c-clip and the rod. Then bring it to a good locksmith.

Archived