Volvospeed Forums

Checking Mileage Through Computer?

Noahkk19

I know there was a discussion on it a while ago, but I think that was before everything got erased. How exactly do you tell the miles on your car if you don't have obd2. I drive a 94 850 Turbo...

I know there's some sequence of buttons to press...Odometer stopped and I'm finally getting it fixed

I thought somebody would need this later when I copied it of somebody's post

Here is how to read your mileage if you have the black computer boxes, worked for my 94 855T!

1. Switch ignition on

2. Select module A terminal 7

3. Push button 5 times

4. When LED comes on and stays on, enter code 1-1-1 as follows:

- press the button once when LED is still on

- wait for LED to go out and come on again

- wait for LED to go out and come on again

- read off response, which will be the last three digits of the odometer miles

5. Repeat steps #3-4, but enter code 1-1-2 (that is, press the button twice on the last step); read off the response, which will be the first three digits of the odometer miles. If you have less than 100,000 miles, the first digit will read as 10 blinks.

Let us know if it worked for you

The 850's have a redunant memory on the cluster in the form of an EEPROM. The actual miles travelled are stored in the EEPROM and its purpose was to enable verification of the analogue mileage display. So if the odometer stops and you run around in the car the mileage covered will continue to rise in the stored EEPROM. When you do the read routine explained earlier in this thread the software retrieves this stored EEPROM value and flashes the LED to read it out. WIth someone knowing what they are doing it could be ackward trying to explain why the displayed mileage does not tally with this stored value.

You would need to read out the stored value and ensure that the analogue display is set accordingly. It does not need to be 100% exactly the same, the EEPROM is only written to in roughly 100 - 200 mile blocks so the difference can have this degree of variance.

Archived