Volvospeed Forums

Heated Seats Write-up

stick70

OK, first off wasnt sure where to post this, so mods feel free to move this where it needs to be.

This is for adding heated seats to a 70 series, i did it on a C70 seat for my S70

Disclamer: Im not responsible is you mess up your seats/car, or anything. Do this at your own risk!

Needed: A bunch of hog rings for the seat covers, cutters, hog ring pliers, 2x heat pads for seat backs, 2x heat pads for seat bottoms, and 2x heated seat switches, 14mm socket or wrench, T50 torx

You can find the heating pads at the dealer, make sure to give parts the propper VIN # so you get the right pads, there are specific pads for each seat.

OK, every 70 series car i have seen has been pre-wired for heated seats, but the first thing you need to do is check to see if yours is!

there are two places you need to check

First, you need to pull up the console tray, this is to check for the plugs for the switches

Do this by opening the coin holder, and pulling up the back of it. Once the back comes up, slide it forward.

DSC01101.jpg

DSC01100.jpg

You can see that it has two notches in the back that hook into the tray itself

DSC01102.jpg

You should see two connectors plugged into the bottom of the tray, these are for the two switches

DSC01099.jpg

Second, you need to look under the seats, there should be a white connector on the bottom of the seat with 4 wires coming out of it, two of these are for the heated seats, the others you shouldnt worry about they are for the seat belts.

DSC01104.jpg

DSC01103.jpg

OK, now that you have confirmed the harness you need to pull the seats out of the car.

Slide the seat back, you will see two 14 mm bolts, there should be a cover over one of them, slide it forward and off.

DSC01105.jpg

Take the two bolts out, and slide the seat back forward.

Now move to the back of the seat, there are two more bolts, again 14mm, on the back of the seats. Once again, slide the covers off and take the bolts out.

DSC01106.jpg

DSC01107.jpg

Now move to the switch panel on the side of the seat.

DSC01108.jpg

Lift the front of the cover up, and slide it backward, to remove it from the seat frame. Unplug the green plug from the bottom of the seat.

(If your car has manual seats, you still need to remove the cover, just slide the two adjustment handles off, then do the same as the power seats. Also C70 models have a T25 torx screw in the back of the cover holding it on.)

Now look on the inside of the cover, you should see a little red thing, remove it.

DSC01109.jpg

(Some models may have the safety protector in the cars tool kit, not on the cover)

Slide it over the top of the airbag trigger as shown.

DSC01048.jpg

WARNING: DO NOT HIT THE FRONT OF THE AIRBAG TRIGGER ANYTIME!!!! THIS WILL CAUSE YOUR SIPS AIRBAG TO GO OFF!!!!!

(Later models do not have this type of airbag and do not need to worry, just disconnect the orange wire at the bottom of the seat.)

Look where you took the cover off, there will be a T50 torx bolt holding the seat belt on, remove it

(C70 series cars must disconnect the rail the seatbelt attaches to, it bolts in the frame of the car, remove the cover at the end of it to expose the bolts.)

Disconnect all wires from the bottom of the seats

OK, now you are ready to lift the seat out of the car. The easiest way i have found is to lift the front up, and curve it out of the door sideways, followed by the back.

BE CAREFUL of the door panels and steering wheel, do not let the seat rails scuff them.

DSC01033-2.jpg

Now that you have the seats out you need to start removing the seat covers. First take the headrests off.

Look on the back of the seat, feel around for a low spot in the plastic, press in the catch and pull up on the headrest to remove it. There is one on each side.

DSC01053.jpg

DSC01054.jpg

DSC01063.jpg

Now look along the bottom of the seat, you should see alot of little metal hog rings, you must remove ALL of these to take the seat cover off. The easiest way is just to cut them.

DSC01052.jpg

DSC01052.jpg

As you go, roll the seat cover up and off of the seat, there are also hog rings along the seat bottom itself, remove these as well. After all the hog rings are off, pull off the seat cover. If it resists, look for missed rings, there are a ton of them on the seat.

No move onto the back. There are rings lining the bottom of the seat back, cut these to begin with, you may have to fold the seat forward to see them

NOTE: some seat models may not have rings along the bottom, instead they have a "J-Track" seperate the two pieces.

Now you need to remove the lumbar support handle.

Pull it towards you, and rotate it counter-clockwise, it may resist a bit, just keep turning it.

DSC01071.jpg

DSC01072.jpg

After this is off, continue rolling the seat cover off, and removing hog rings.

DSC01069.jpg

There is a little catch you need to remove on the inside of the seat for the seat pocket.

DSC01067.jpg

DSC01066.jpg

now remove the seat cover completely.

DSC01073.jpg

Now you need to look at your heating pads. Notice the top plugs into the bottom, the white plug is to plug into the empty plug you had in your car.

DSC01061.jpg

Also notice there are adhesive strips on the pads

DSC01060.jpg

DSC01059.jpg

Position the pad on the seat. BE SURE that ALL of the grooves line up, and you have acess to all of the hog rings. This is imperative to this installation. If you run into a problem with this then you have the wrong pad.

DSC01076.jpg

The wires should stick out of the back side of the seat as shown

DSC01081.jpg

Now its time to stick the pad on the seats, take your time exposing one side of the adhesive at a time, and carefully sticking the pad to the seat, be sure to align the pad so it does not stick over the edge of the seat. Also assure there are NO kinks in the pad, these will break the heating elements and over time cause failure.

DSC01078.jpg

DSC01079.jpg

DSC01080.jpg

DSC01083.jpg

If you run into a groove that is not split on the pad, you need to roll the pad into the channel as shown

DSC01075.jpg

DSC01082.jpg

So the same for the seat back, again, rolling the pad into the channels if need be.

DSC01087.jpg

DSC01088.jpg

Now press on the bottom, sides, and back of the seat to assure that the pad has adhered properly to the foam.

Make sure none of it comes up and that it moves freely with the seat cushion

DSC01084.jpg

DSC01085.jpg

It should now look like this

DSC01089.jpg

Before you install the seat covers, plug the pads into the car to assure proper heating and operation.

Now you are ready to reinstall the covers, just put a hog ring everywhere you removed one, and crimp them with the pliers.

The headrest just slides back on, and the side cover pops back into place like you took it off. Be sure to remove the red airbag protector and re-attach it to the back of the cover so you have it next time you need it.

This is a great time to install your switches in the console tray, i advise using a new tray with holdes already in it, but you may use a dremel, it should look like so when done.

DSC01110.jpg

Now just bolt the seats back in, plug up all the wires, and enjoy your new heated seats!!!

This is my first attempt at a writ-up, so feel free to ask questions if you have them, and let me know if i missed something

Thanks guys, hopefully somebody can get some good out of it, my car was already heated actually, but im swapping out my S70 seats in favor of a pair of C70 seats i bought (big thanks again to knightinavolvo) cause i loooove how they sit compared to mine. Those werent heated and i wanted to do it right. Only problems i ran into was converting the 01 c70 electric airbags to my old-school airbags which was a pain in the ALL GLORY TO THE HYPNOTOAD.

great write up, but wtf is that blue thing sitting below the ash tray?

If you look at it, it kinda looks like a tooth, so i think its a pin my mom got at the dentist or something. Look at the pictures close enough and youll notice i took pics in 3 different cars and 4 different seats lol. That was in her car.

Thanks guys, hopefully somebody can get some good out of it, my car was already heated actually, but im swapping out my S70 seats in favor of a pair of C70 seats i bought (big thanks again to knightinavolvo) cause i loooove how they sit compared to mine. Those werent heated and i wanted to do it right. Only problems i ran into was converting the 01 c70 electric airbags to my old-school airbags which was a pain in the jerk.

If you look at it, it kinda looks like a tooth, so i think its a pin my mom got at the dentist or something. Look at the pictures close enough and youll notice i took pics in 3 different cars and 4 different seats lol. That was in her car.

oh yeah, i didnt even realize that they were cloth seats in the first few pictures.

wow, very nice work! i'm afraid not too many people here will go through all that though, i'm pretty sure very few are as crafty as you are!

i already have heated seats.... just wish the driver's side didn't burn/pinch my butt

Swweeeet! just in time for summer! lol nah just kidding. On of the better write-ups i've seen. A+++

IIRC some peoples actual seats (850's) already have the heating elements in them they just need the switch

Archived