Volvospeed Forums

Diy: Make Fiberglass Eyelids

TFIVEM

First off as always... do this at your own risk.. however you arnt really doing anything that can harm the headlight so if you pull off breaking them... thats a bit more talent.

tools need:

Fiber glass mat

Bondo resin

scissors

sandpaper

masking tape

sharpie marker

mixing bowl

brush

PAM (cooking spray)

dremel

Ok you want to begin by completley cover your headlights in masking tape. you want every thing covered cause this stuff gets everywhere. i would also do this in a well ventalated area because it smells up quick.

101_1289.jpg

cut up the fiber glass into small peices so they are easy to work with

101_1290.jpg

take the sharpie and line out over the tape where you want the eyelid to be... its inportant to do this because it will help out later on.

101_1292.jpg

spary down the headlight in pam so it will be easy to remove the fiber glass later on.

101_1293.jpg

pour resin and proper amount of hardener into a glass dish. 1/4 can of resin gets 1/4 bottle of hardener

101_1294.jpg

apply a coat of resin all over the light then press the fiber glass into the resin. once you have appliesd the fiberglass apply another coat of resin over the fiberglass

101_1295.jpg

once that has dried go ahead and hit it with the sandpaer.

101_1296.jpg

repeat the process again and let dry

101_1297.jpg

peel it off and check out the back... sharpie peel :)

cut along the line with the dremel

101_1298.jpg

Test fit

101_1299.jpg

hit them with paint

101_1305.jpg

fit again

101_1307.jpg

enjoy

101_1309.jpg

101_1302.jpg

peg tease.. thanks corey

The one thing I will say is that most people here will try to paint the raw glass. You guys are going to want to sand it down quite a bit from it's raw form and lay down some mud on any low spots. You don't have to glaze coat these, but it wouldn't hurt. If you aren't great at mudding and sanding, you will likely have pin holes and small imperfections. As long as they aren't horrible, you can take care of them with a filler primer. If you still have issues, sand off the primer and use a glaze. It will be easier to work with than normal mud and will be more forgiving. Sand it and re-prime.

Another thing to look out for is if your mud dries and you reapply some from a new 'batch' (filler/hardener ratio), it will show through thin coats. If you end up splitting up your mudding, you will want to make sure you use enough paint to hide the splotches this will create.

Other than that, the process is really very simple.

Off topic, but are those the jewel headlights/aftermarket?

Or did you sand down the original?

How much would you say doing this costs?

You can get glass and resin at Walmart, Lowes, HD, etc. It's not very good, but good enough for this. 1 gal can of resin and a small bag of chop will set you back maybe $15, tops. Paint is the killer. You can get a color matched paint in a spray can with flex for ~$30 from a paint store. Just bring them in your fuel door or headlight trim. It will match better than buying from the dealer or paintscratch.com.

thanks for all the replys. overall it took about 2 hours. first time ive ever used fiberglass. your definetley right about the mud though. i really just wanted to get them wrapped up for today. but i def have plans. i spent about 20$ total for everything and that was because i bought about 8 x 8 foot sheet of fiberglass. the fogs below my headlights are golf cart foglights.... lol but they match the flutes of the original headlights perfectly. if you want em gary there yours. shoot me a price lol.

thanks for all the replys. overall it took about 2 hours. first time ive ever used fiberglass. your definetley right about the mud though. i really just wanted to get them wrapped up for today. but i def have plans. i spent about 20$ total for everything and that was because i bought about 8 x 8 foot sheet of fiberglass. the fogs below my headlights are golf cart foglights.... lol but they match the flutes of the original headlights perfectly. if you want em gary there yours. shoot me a price lol.

Send me the eyebrows.;)

Gary

Archived