Volvospeed Forums

Short Shifter

So I drive my car. And I shift.

I love manuals. All I want to drive are manuals. But the Volvo stick shift definitely needs improving. The rod is too long and the throws are too far.

Don't get me wrong I searched this and basically found very few answers but enough info to start a thread about it.

I know that there is a kit out there somewhere and it is either or all of these: too expensive, hard to install, hard to find in stock, don't actually change the throw distance but instead just shorten the rod.

So I'm thinking... Is it possible to just hack the one installed on the car? I know they are a pain in the ALL GLORY TO THE HYPNOTOAD to take off but I also know that some of the more savvy members/vendors have gotten around this with make shift tools. But can I move that down after I disassemble it? Will I need to weld something in place to make up for my amputation?

Thanks for any input.

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

i really think the throw and length are perfect in the new s40 6spds

I agree--that's one of the first things I said when I rode in one last week.

Yes there is and I am working on a kit to sell. My prototype kit reduced front to rear throw by about 50% and left to right throw by about 75%.

I'm interested. Keep us posted.

Nice to see that you are working on one Greg.

I still am curious if anyone has done what I have proposed. I could see that the length becoming an issue but I was thinking of cutting the rod at an angle and position it so it leans back.

All this is just hypothetical. I've never ventured into the middle console to see what I am working with (I have seen pictures however).

nope

:D I figured I'd ask. Please let us know when you get to the point of selling them, I really am interested.

Nice to see that you are working on one Greg.

I still am curious if anyone has done what I have proposed. I could see that the length becoming an issue but I was thinking of cutting the rod at an angle and position it so it leans back.

All this is just hypothetical. I've never ventured into the middle console to see what I am working with (I have seen pictures however).

You could put washers underneath the two front bolts to give it an angle, but I'd be worried about what it would do to the cables. I guess I could try this weekend and report back.

Well does anyone at least know how to remove the knob? Aside from cutting it of course.

cut it

i guess you could pull it off, i have heard of a special tool at the dealer to remove it, but i have never seen this tool, or know if its even available nemore.

Archived