Volvospeed Forums

Speedometer Not Working With Engine Swap

Put in a 97 850 Turbo motor and wiring harness. My car and gauges are for a 95.....connected the speedometer harness to the speed harness on the car...no speedo.

what do I have to do to make the speedo work? tach and everything else works, just no speedo....

do I have to tap into an ABS sensor?

Put in a 97 850 Turbo motor and wiring harness. My car and gauges are for a 95.....connected the speedometer harness to the speed harness on the car...no speedo.

what do I have to do to make the speedo work? tach and everything else works, just no speedo....

do I have to tap into an ABS sensor?

Never played with it but all the OBDII on cars had the speed sensor through the ABS. What year ECU are you using?

Never played with it but all the OBDII on cars had the speed sensor through the ABS. What year ECU are you using?

using a 94 turbo ecu with egr

and I think full OBDII was 96 and up, and the 95 cars got the speed signal off of the trans, so I'm thinking...

since I have a 97 engine and harness, I may need to get the speed signal from the abs instead of the trans (although I'm not sure about the manual trans speed signal)

and I think full OBDII was 96 and up, and the 95 cars got the speed signal off of the trans, so I'm thinking...

since I have a 97 engine and harness, I may need to get the speed signal from the abs instead of the trans (although I'm not sure about the manual trans speed signal)

hmmm thats strange i agree. my car runs a trans speed and a rear wheel speed sensor. ( why both? so people like me can monkey around and make a TCS for the car ). I'd try going for the ABS sensor see if it works.

hmmm thats strange i agree. my car runs a trans speed and a rear wheel speed sensor. ( why both? so people like me can monkey around and make a TCS for the car ). I'd try going for the ABS sensor see if it works.

yeah, I may just try that to see if it works, but hopefully someone has done this on a 95 before....

95 cluster and ECU, but 97 engine and harness.....engine shouldn't matter, it's something to do with the harness, or the cluster I bought from a VS member is bad....

yeah, I may just try that to see if it works, but hopefully someone has done this on a 95 before....

95 cluster and ECU, but 97 engine and harness.....engine shouldn't matter, it's something to do with the harness, or the cluster I bought from a VS member is bad....

it's a 97 harness... on a 94 ecu... i'd recommend if nothing works getting a 94 harness or a 97 ecu.

95 is off the tranny 97 harness is different and would be pulling it from the abs

might be able to rewire so it pulls of the tran not sure about that never had to do that

I'm using the right rear ABS sensor for the speed signal but I don't use ABS anymore..

yeah, makes sense to use a rear sensor....so, i connect the main wiring harness to the ABS sensor, or the harness coming off of the car?

I'll have to tap and see if I can get a signal

Guest 300+_T5R_855

yeah, makes sense to use a rear sensor....so, i connect the main wiring harness to the ABS sensor, or the harness coming off of the car?

I'll have to tap and see if I can get a signal

pras, You need a '96 or newer speedo. Talk to John he has Euro ones in stock. They go to 160 too.

'93-'95 get the signal off the transmission. '96 and later get the signal off the ABS module. You can use a '96 trans in a '95 car and use the ABS signal, but in your case I am pretty sure you just need to swap out the cluster with a '96, '97 or '98.

pras, You need a '96 or newer speedo. Talk to John he has Euro ones in stock. They go to 160 too.

any way to make the 95 one work?

all the other stuff on it works, just the speedo ain't going.....i have teh yazaki and i put trim rings on it, so I'd like to make it work!

Guest 300+_T5R_855

any way to make the 95 one work?

all the other stuff on it works, just the speedo ain't going.....i have teh yazaki and i put trim rings on it, so I'd like to make it work!

You should be able to use the ABS signal and send it to the cluster, but some wiring diagrams and serious studying are in order. Douggy Poo might know.

Hey dude, I would try doing the ABS sensor input. I dont know the wiring for it but the abs is based on how fast the car is accelerating or deccelerating. Didnt Trius say that he wasnt gonna be able to get the speedo to work? And if worse comes to worse you can just drive to texas and follow other cars to get a basic speed reference. That or if you have time go to North Hollywood Speedo I really like them and they have done good work for me for the Porsches. If you need anything give me a call.

Archived