Volvospeed Forums

Jaguar Wheel Saga

gdizzle

Some of you know what I've been through with these Jag wheels. I bought these from a guy in the netherlands, he shipped them using a second party shipping company that decided to stick them in their wharehouse for 6 months and refusing to return them until lawyers got involved.. I would never had received them if it weren't for Johann, so big thanks to him for helping me out! When I bought these, there were supposed to be 4 wheels in great shape and 2 damaged and that is what the pictures showed. 6 and half months later, I received the wheels and this what I found..

the good...

The bad... Look around the centerbore

The worse..

So, I pulled the wheels apart and started to sand centers down and quickly realized this was going to take forever. So, I took the centers to work and tried to media blast them, once again, TAKING FOR EVER. I think the paint on these wheels were made of Superman's spit. Stuff was impenetrable. So, I had to take the centers to a machine shop and have them blast them with their super OMG blasting system. Since the wheels had a 60mm center bore and 60mm off set, I bought 4 25mm H&R spacers for a s-type jag and had the same machine shop turn the CB on the spacers out to 62.5mm. 2 MONTHS later, the wheels were done and picked them up to find that had burned one of the centers w/ the media. :angry:

Here is a pic of one of the good centers stripped.

h/r jaguar stype 25mm spacers with CB machined out to 65.1mm

After I got the centers back, I had to repair the one center. So I remembered about a product I had used a few years back at work to repair some aluminum for powder coat and I ordered a pint of LAB-Metal and filled all the damaged areas on the one center. Once the center was finish, I took them to work and powdercoated them. A coworker and I forgot to blead the air lines before powdercoating the centers and on the last wheel center, water got in the powder... We didn't realize this until after we pulled the center out of the oven. So, we let it cool, sanded it down, stuck back in the oven, heated then sprayed it again while it was in the oven. This worked out great, but you can still tell it's not right... :(

Next in line for refurb were the outers. I contacted BBS to see about getting replacement steel protective rings and they told me that I can get them, BUT I had to take the wheels to a Jag dealer and pay them 500 bucks per wheel so they can send them to BBS and have them put new rings on. So, F that. I pulled the rings off by heating them a torch to release the glue then pried them off and threw them away. Next I sanded the lips down then polished them myself. This was BACKBREAKING work and totally sucked! But, the effort was worth it because the finished result rocked. After the lips were done, I hit all 120 some odd bolts with the wire wheel to clean them. I also sourced a dark grey set of Jaguar center caps, since the ones I had were bright silver. I reassembeld the wheels and torqued all the bolts down to spec.

I was quite pleased with the results! They turned out hott as hell.

So, the next day I loaded the wheels up and the tires as well and took them to the get mounted. When I picked them up, the shop told me they're giving me 30 bucks off the mounting "since everything was loose". I thought sweet, money saved! Well, when I got home I saw why... They had dropped all but 1 wheel chipping the powdercoat and put a small ding in the lip of wheel. So, I have to RESTRIP THE WHEELS and do them over. :angry:

Here's the finished product for now.

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Tons of work and time invested Greg, but I think they're gogeous wheels that you ended up with. I'm not sure it was worth all that trouble but they are amazing. I, of course, would've gone postal long before the process was complete.

So after all that work, did you come out better then buying new?

Gary

I honestly don't have much out of pocket money invested in them........ Also, these wheels are ~1200 bucks EACH from the dealer. ;)

They look great and that's 10 times more work than what the average person would be capable of doing, let alone patient enough to do it. Props to you, that is some very impressive work!

Wow, you really are a patient person outside of volvospeed :lol:...Hard work shows though, and the wheels looked great at Carlisle.

Not really, I'm a pretty impatient person. :lol: There is A LOT more to this story too. When the wheels arrived in the states, they were taken to a wharehouse run by retards. They said they tried to contact me but could not locate my phone number so, they waited 2.5 weeks to send me a letter notifying me that the wheels had arrived. Durring this 2.5 weeks they were charging me a 6 bucks a day per 100lbs in storage fees! When I got the letter, the DAY AFTER IT WAS SENT, I called them flipped out on them. The next day, I took off work, and made my wife come with so I didn't get arrested. I yelled at every person in the wharehouse until they agreed to wave the charges. I told them I'd pay 2 days worth of storage fees since that's how long it should have taken for them send me a letter, not 2.5 f'ing weeks.

Just found my post from that day in the mod forum. :lol:

I'M SO F'ING PISSED. F***!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! THE DUMB F*** DUCTH A** F***** WHO SENT MY WHEELS DIDN'T PUT MY NAME ON THE PACKAGE AND DIDN'T PUT MY PHONE NUMBER ON THEM SO THE WHEELS HAVE BEEN SITTING IN STORAGE RACKING UP A $6 PER 100LB A DAY FEE SINCE F****** MARCH 22 2006. I JUST TALKED TO THE CARGO COMPANY AND SOME NON ENGLISH SPEAKING WHORE TOLD ME IN A ROUND A BOUT WAY TO GO F MYSELF. I'M BEATING SOME A** TOMORROW! F YOU UNITED AIRLINES.

I honestly don't have much out of pocket money invested in them........ Also, these wheels are ~1200 bucks EACH from the dealer. ;)

Damn, I would say you got a deal. They are fantastic.

Gary

Archived