Volvospeed Forums

1998 V70 Glt, 90k Miles, Plugs / Wires / Filters / Other

ZakDaddy

Howdy, all; long time lurker, first time poster.

What I've done so far:

Spark plugs and air filter. Factory plugs, clean but quite worn. Air filter looked ok, but I'm chasing a gremlin; the car stumbles badly maybe once or twice an hour (under load, at idle, doesn't matter) then recovers as if nothing is wrong. It's not throwing any codes. ???

What I'm going to do next:

Plug wires, distributor cap and rotor, fuel filter (all on order)

What I'm wondering about:

There's a lot of what I would call blowback oil coming from the filler cap. When I took off the engine cover to do the plugs, there were pools of oil all over the valve cover / head. So my first though is PCV, but I'm beginning to believe that turbo Volvo's don't have a PCV... am I on crack? What else could be causing this?

I also need a book / step-by-step for the fuel filter (and anything else I decide to get into). They're about $30.00 for the Chilton online, or $25.00 for some mysterious CD/DVD on eBay; isn't there a Bentley for this car somewhere? Google-fu fails me.

Thanks in advance for your help. :)

-Zak-

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Change your oil cap gasket and buy Haynes manual

Huh. Oil cap is supposed to have a gasket? :P

My prior experience with Haynes has been disappointing on other cars (frequently mis-labeled diagrams, missing procedures, etc) - is the 98 V70 edition better than that?

Turbos definitely have a PCV and it causes as many problems there as on N/A. I'm not a N/A wizard, but from being on the site I would personally do what you're doing and also focus on PCV replacement and flame trap cleaning. Your throttle body could also be pretty dirty causing the plate to stick and the motor to stumble.

Huh. Oil cap is supposed to have a gasket? :P

My prior experience with Haynes has been disappointing on other cars (frequently mis-labeled diagrams, missing procedures, etc) - is the 98 V70 edition better than that?

Spark Plug Wires - get new ones

Dist Cap and Rotor - get new ones

Fuel Filter - get a new one

Cabin Air Filter - get a new one

DO THE PCV FIRST! get the kit from FCP Groton and also in the Tune-Up section there is a Throttle Body Gasket that you should get also

then get a new oil filler cap with a new oil filler cap gasket

you have to do the PCV first before getting a new cap and gasket because you have the possiblility of blowing other seals such as RMS and stuff.

pcv then oil filler cap and gasket :) hope this helps!

the fuel filter is easy... you can find a GUIDE on this website... but a Haynes manual is great!

best of luck! hope I helped

I'm assumming the timing belt and serp belt were done at 70K miles. If not do them immediately, your Volvo has an interference engine and it will crunch the valves if the timing belt breaks.

You stated you have plug wires on order. I don't know what you've ordered, but the general consensus is to steer clear of the Bosch wires. The OEM wire set is from Bougicord and can be ordered from FCP.

The oil on the top of your engine and in the spark plug wells is most likely causing your stumbling problem. Probably the oil cap gasket is shot, but the PCV system probably needs attention as well. Here's a link to FCP's site where you can order a kit with all the components. Do a search and you'll get all the info you need on rebuilding the PCV system.

http://www.fcpgroton.com/csv70/csv70oiltrapturbo1998.htm

Changing out the fuel filter is covered in the maintenance section of this forum. Easy job.

The Haynes book is the best one for your Volvo.

Spark Plug Wires - get new ones

Dist Cap and Rotor - get new ones

Fuel Filter - get a new one

Cabin Air Filter - get a new one

Already on the way.

DO THE PCV FIRST! get the kit from FCP Groton and also in the Tune-Up section there is a Throttle Body Gasket that you should get also

then get a new oil filler cap with a new oil filler cap gasket

you have to do the PCV first before getting a new cap and gasket because you have the possiblility of blowing other seals such as RMS and stuff.

the fuel filter is easy... you can find a GUIDE on this website... but a Haynes manual is great!

Shoot, I was afraid someone would say that. OK, PCV it is. I'll order the kit, etc. today. I also found the fuel filter guide on this site after I posted. *blush* Thanks.

Any suggestions best place to order the Haynes book?

Re: my timing belt, that was done at 46k, so I still have some breathing room on that one.

Thanks a million, all!

Already on the way.

Shoot, I was afraid someone would say that. OK, PCV it is. I'll order the kit, etc. today. I also found the fuel filter guide on this site after I posted. *blush* Thanks.

Any suggestions best place to order the Haynes book?

Re: my timing belt, that was done at 46k, so I still have some breathing room on that one.

Thanks a million, all!

IPD... books and manuals under your model and year... have fun!

The oil on the top of your engine and in the spark plug wells is most likely causing your stumbling problem. Probably the oil cap gasket is shot, but the PCV system probably needs attention as well. Here's a link to FCP's site where you can order a kit with all the components. Do a search and you'll get all the info you need on rebuilding the PCV system.

http://www.fcpgroton.com/csv70/csv70oiltrapturbo1998.htm

Changing out the fuel filter is covered in the maintenance section of this forum. Easy job.

The Haynes book is the best one for your Volvo.

Ordering PCV kit now. There was only oil on top; none of it had made it down into the spark plug wells themselves, thank heavens. Any other ideas on the stumbling?

Howdy, all; long time lurker, first time poster.

What I've done so far:

Spark plugs and air filter. Factory plugs, clean but quite worn. Air filter looked ok, but I'm chasing a gremlin; the car stumbles badly maybe once or twice an hour (under load, at idle, doesn't matter) then recovers as if nothing is wrong. It's not throwing any codes. ???

Do you have any codes? That stumble sounds like a problem with your MAF... try some MAF cleaner on it and see if that helps. Clean the throttle body as well, both those are the most common problems for your problem.

HORRIBLE advice. Positive pressure does not 'blow' seals, it just forces oil past them. Replace the oil filler cap gasket first, even if you did 'blow' <_< it up, $2 for a new seal is better than oil all over your shit.

Do you have any codes? That stumble sounds like a problem with your MAF... try some MAF cleaner on it and see if that helps. Clean the throttle body as well, both those are the most common problems for your problem.

HORRIBLE advice. Positive pressure does not 'blow' seals, it just forces oil past them. Replace the oil filler cap gasket first, even if you did 'blow' <_< it up, $2 for a new seal is better than oil all over your stuff.

*chuckle* Let the flame war begin!

I'm going to go ahead and do the PCV stuff anyway since it's just clocked over 90k and the spark plugs were factory original. No telling what other crap is in there. And I've got big plans to steam clean (or equivalent) the whole shebang once I'm done.

No codes at all, which is weird. I'll be glad to clean off the MAF sensor if you can point me in the right direction to find it..? Still don't have a book yet, it's on the way. :)

Thanks again for all the input, y'all. This forum rules.

describe the stumble.. is it like a sudden hiccup, or does it actually last a few moments?

It's pretty short, like half a second or less. Feels like 2, maybe 3 cylinders just fail to fire in a row before it picks back up again like nothing ever happened. Spooky. And a bit unnerving at 80 MPH 600 miles away from home in the middle of the night, if you know what I mean. That being said, the faster the engine is revving the shorter the stumble is (just a blip loss of power at speed, vs. a full-blown stumble at idle). Make sense?

Archived