Volvospeed Forums

850 A/c Clutch Gap Fix

Rower

Over a year ago I fixed my a/c using plastic bread bag clips and since my write up dissapeared with the server crash, I'll redo it.

Symptoms:

Your air conditioner runs fine for a little while then all of a sudden it blows warm air. The clutch actually dissengages and you have to turn off the a/c, wait a while then turn it back on and it will again work for a while. Mine would turn off whenever I accelerated hard and then would not come back on.

How to determine if the clutch gap is the culprit:

Next time the compressor clicks off (starts blowing warm air): leave the a/c on and take a wooden broomstick and push the clutch in with it. If the clutch engages with the push of the broomstick, you know thats the problem.

If the compressor is clicking on and off constantly every couple seconds, then thats a different problem, probably low freon.

Complicated fix:

Requires taking the clutch apart and putting some shims in somewhere.. I don't even know.

Easy fix:

Take 3 plastic bread bag clips and insert them on the outside of the clutch to push the clutch closer to where its supposed to be so it can engage automatically.

You'll need to cut the clips the way they look in the picture so they fit (it will all make sense when you try sliding them in place). I used a flat head screwdriver to spread the clutch apart while I slid the clip in. I also put crazy glue on the clips just to be certain they are not going to fly out with the centrifugal force. Make sure you work quickly once the glue is on because it will soften the clip. Once they are all in just break off the end of the clips. The bread clips were just the right size for my compressor but yours might be different. My brother's S60 is having the same problem but the clutch is different. The gap is smaller and a bit harder to get to, I'll probably cut up some copper sheet metal or maybe some old razors and slide them in.

It took me about 15 minutes when I did it about a year ago and it's still working.

Attached is the photo.

Good luck and let me know if it works for you too.

post-12888-1184548247_thumb.jpg

Cool fix. Too bad I just did the shim job successfully.

UPDATE

Today I fixed my brother's 2001 S60, same idea as the 850 but used copper sheet metal instead.. the bread clips were too thick (that will depend on your clutch though). Also, on the S60, it's much easier to access the clutch from the passenger wheel well.

Method:

1. Remove the passenger front wheel

2. Remove 2 - 10mm nuts holding plastic cover, peel back and tie in place.

3. Use a big clip or vise grip to squeeze the clutch in to make room for the clip.

4. You will be pushing the bumper/rivet by making a spacer/washer.

5. Make your clips/spacer like in the photo, cut the slot small and widen it untill it fits snug. It's a good idea to make them square so they can't rotate and fall out.

6. And since no job is complete w/o a bit of Krazy glue, drop some in there with the clip/vise still on and then let it go.

Attached is the photo.

post-12888-1184813090_thumb.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

I just performed this repair on my 2000 v70, and it worked like a charm! The gap measured out at 0.8mm, so I went to the grocery store for my parts (the bread clips). My clutch plate was a little different from the one in your photos - I wasn't able to get the shims in the same locations, and I had to cut them into much smaller pieces. They were also a bit too thick, so I beat them down with a hammer...it took several tries but I managed to get 3 shims in at the correct thickness to give me a gap of 0.35mm all around the interface.

It's now been a week, and the a/c has been perfect under some very heavy use! I'll try to post some pics when I get a chance.

Thanks for the great advice!!

Come on man, you gotta post a pic!

I have to thank you for a great solution to a $300 problem! I hope you don't mind, but I also posted your solutionn on the Brickboard.com

This fix, even if I have to do it every spring, is great. What a novel idea :)

Couldn't have said it better myself. Ghetto-tastic.

See, there, that wasn't better.

I have this issue so I'm as giddy as a schoolgirl over the hope for a cheap fix. I have plenty of freon.

Ghetto-tastic. Why not pin the right way to fix it while you're pinning stuff.

Shim Removal writeup post.

It should be in the .3-.4 MM range or around .012 - .015 thousands

On a different note, I did the bread clip fix on my 98 S70 which had about .040 thousands of clearance and it worked like a champ. It was in the high 90's here today and it worked without a hitch. I usually don't like doing anything as "rube" as the bread clip fix, but I figured I had nothing to loose. If the clips fall out at least I know what the fix is and I'll pull the clutch and do it the right way.

Archived