Volvospeed Forums

Painted My Calipers

drPheta

Since my calipers seized up in the rear, I figured why not make a weekend quickie project out of this and prevent the calipers from rusting all over again.

VHT brake paint in spray can, $8 a can.

Wire brush, $3

Removed calipers, cleaned with wire brush, cleaned with brake cleaner (be sure to protect the seals and plug up the holes for the line and bleeder screw), wiped it down, taped off the seals.

1 can of paint covered about 3-6 good coats for two calipers. It also doesn't drip like normal spray paint does. If you get too zealous with the paint, it'll run a bit and blend in fairly well (I got trigger happy and impatient towards the end). However, the calipers and brackets all came out looking fantastic.

Bled the system the old fashion way, pump, bleed, pump, bleed... I'll probably get a vacuum bleeder for next time.

Voila!

http://www.drpheta.com/pics/anna_golden_brakes/index.htm

Now, all I have to do is wait for the retarded insurance company to cover the car. Those bastards are still taking their sweet time. :angry:

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I got gold becuase the auto shop didn't have charcoal or black in stock. I figured, hey why not? Gold usually looks good with darker wheels... and they do. Got lucky. Heh.

ADD:

I also didn't want to do yellow or red, cause that looked tacky with a yellow car in my mind.

The rotors are new. Since my car was sitting in the salvage yard for so long doing nothing, my left rear caliper froze up, and I didn't change out the rotors in the front from the seized front caliper job i did before the theft. So, I just went out and bought new brake hardware and changed it all out during the caliper install.

If your rotors are that nasty, get some WD-40, Brake Cleaner, and a couple good wire brushes of different sizes. Some sand paper couldn't hurt either. I got the hub pretty spanking clean with just the first three on the list.

WD-40, let it sit. Scrub. Brake cleaner. scrub while it's evaporating. Should be pretty clean. Don't forget to wear a mask or avoid breathing in the crap.

Potroast: respectable. But thanks for the props on my workmanship.

Archived