Volvospeed Forums

98 V70 Glt | Pcv Is Done, Now I'm Blowing Oil Like Crazy Through The Oil Cap.

ZakDaddy

Arrrrgh!

So what was a sort of "jeez, that's annoying" leak is now a "holy crap, it's all over the place / hitting the exhaust manifold and I'm worried about setting the car on fire."

Dangit!!

Threw up my hands in disgust, took it to a mechanic. His diagnosis: the PCV was done correctly (read: I didn't screw anything up, thankfully) but my piston rings are shot and they're letting oil through.

Which sounds, well, a little weird. "Yeah, that turbo's putting too much pressure in the crank case and it's blowing oil."

Um. I thought the turbo put pressure on the intake? So I'm a little confused. They still have the car, and these are good folks (never steered me wrong before) so I'm polling the Group Mind - what else could it be? Should I ask for a compression test on the cylinders? I'm already $80.00 in the hole for diagnosis, so should I throw more money at this problem or get rid of the car?

I'm all ears. Thanks in advance.

Definitely try the oil cap gasket. Heck, I'd even try a whole new oil cap for $8 before I change the rings... :)

Arrrrgh!

So what was a sort of "jeez, that's annoying" leak is now a "holy crap, it's all over the place / hitting the exhaust manifold and I'm worried about setting the car on fire."

Dangit!!

Threw up my hands in disgust, took it to a mechanic. His diagnosis: the PCV was done correctly (read: I didn't screw anything up, thankfully) but my piston rings are shot and they're letting oil through.

Which sounds, well, a little weird. "Yeah, that turbo's putting too much pressure in the crank case and it's blowing oil."

Um. I thought the turbo put pressure on the intake? So I'm a little confused. They still have the car, and these are good folks (never steered me wrong before) so I'm polling the Group Mind - what else could it be? Should I ask for a compression test on the cylinders? I'm already $80.00 in the hole for diagnosis, so should I throw more money at this problem or get rid of the car?

I'm all ears. Thanks in advance.

I'm no real mechanic by any stretch but here's a few things you might want to ask your mechanic to understand the situation a little better.

Maybe have them do a leak-down test to confirm the bad rings diagnosis?

I wonder what the oil pressure is? I'd imagine it's pretty high if it can cause the oil to come shooting through a new oil cap and gasket.

This is total speculation on my part but don't these cars have an oil pressure relief valve in the pan? What if the relief valve stuck? Couldn't that cause high oil pressure? I thought if you had bad rings the car would burn the oil? Are you getting a lot of blue smoke from the tailpipe?

Already done. Other thoughts?

That's a good point. I wonder if the shop that confirmed the PCV took the intake off to see if everything was connected properly. If memory serves me correctly it's awful hard to see what's going on in there without the intake manifold coming off.

If rings were shot before you did the PCV and it wasn't leaking, then the rings cant be thaaat bad. My guess is something on the PCV is wrong, but as to what it could be....

Regardless of the oil pressure, the only thing you are going to get thru the cap is slosh. Start the car and go take the cap off. If it sounds like a beer when you open it, you have severe blowby. Are you SURE its coming from the cap? If you just did the PCV, I am thinking you didnt get the clamp on the top hose tight enough. The hose that goes under the spark plug cover.

Gary

If rings were shot before you did the PCV and it wasn't leaking, then the rings cant be thaaat bad. My guess is something on the PCV is wrong, but as to what it could be....

I agree with flaco, it's possible that there is some kinked or incorrectly installed hose causing the engine to vent through the oil cap area. I recommend removing the intake again and checking the pcv fitments.it would blow oil through the pcv into the intake if it was that bad. isn't there a motor that controls the venting into the intake system?

You've seen this on the fcp groton site, right?http://fcpgroton.com/volvo850oiltrapturbo.htm
I have indeed; forgot about that. Bet it helps, although I'm not looking forward to taking all that crap back apart again. *ggggrrrrrrr*
Not really; it's all obviously coming from the oil filler cap and blowing back over the spark plug cover. It's not spatter, it's more of a film. I will try the bit about tightening the tabs on the filler cap, though...

I have indeed; forgot about that. Bet it helps, although I'm not looking forward to taking all that crap back apart again. *ggggrrrrrrr*Not really; it's all obviously coming from the oil filler cap and blowing back over the spark plug cover. It's not spatter, it's more of a film. I will try the bit about tightening the tabs on the filler cap, though...

Sorry, but it is not piston rings. They are extremely tough and take forever to wear down.

If you think that the manifold pressure is too high, check it with the oil dipstick pulled out. No mess. There should not be any blow by there.

I agree that the oil cap seal is probably stiff as a board and needs to be replaced. Don't push those tabs down too far.

Archived