Volvospeed Forums

Warning About Pcv Job

Oreo931

Hello everyone,

I am making this thread to warn you about NOT making the same mistake I did. I looked it up several times but I should have confirmed it with someone who knew for sure. The first time I did the PCV I had the hoses on the oil trap hooked up CORRECTLY...After reviewing the pictures that Lax01 (he did the picture tutorial of the PCV in showroom) I thought that I had hooked up the hoses incorrectly. I spent the next weekend RE-DOING my PCV job. Luckily, it only took 4 hours instead of the 10 it took me last time. Anyways, after looking at MORE pictures I realized that I did it wrong the second time. Meaning I went and messed up the first job I did which was done correctly. I confirmed this with Greg (gdizzle) just to be sure.

Here is a picture of how the hoses SHOULD go:

pcv94_850turbo.jpg

If you see, the hose going to the top of the engine where the spark plugs are goes on THE RIGHT HOLE of the oil trap.

In the picture below, from Josh's (lax01) writeup, it is misleading because he has the hoses hooked up WRONG.

pcvWRONG.jpg

PLEASE CHECK AND MAKE SURE YOU DIDNT MAKE THE SAME MISTAKE THAT :josh: and I DID. You should not be driving the car around like this. Now I have to REDO mine AGAIN for the 3rd time on Saturday.

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

maybe you should've taken a picture BEFORE and AFTER the pcv job to make sure hoses are exactly in the right place.... :D

I did. I had it hooked up right the first time I did the PCV job. After looking at lax01's pictures I thought that I had messed it up... Clearly it was a stupid idea to trust him. I think his picture tutorial should be edited.

Hummm.... I think i did mine according to the FCP diagram... Been driving it a year like that so... I'm guessing it's ok.

I think this caused me issue, and i finally did it according to the diagram i got from FCP.

But thanks for a great message. That way i won't screw it up when i do the Saff.

I dont know whats right or wrong but mine originally stock from the factory is opposite of the FCP pic.

I got the pieces in the garage and just looked at it and my original setup from Volvo is opposite of FCPs pic.

Theres also a pic in the Haynes manual on page 6-2 showing it opposite of the FCP pic. So Im wondering if Volvo did anything to the part or is the FCP pic an error.

Theres also a pic in the Chilton manual on page 3-12 showing it opposite of the FCP pic.

I dont know whats right or wrong but mine originally is opposite of the FCP pic.

I got the pieces in the garage and just looked at it and my original setup from Volvo is opposite of FCPs pic.

Yours must be wrong then unfortnately.

That diagram from FCP is originally from the Volvo parts program, so it cant be wrong.

Look at this pic from EEuroparts. Here.

The hole in the center of the top of the trap goes to the intake hose just like Binglax says in his post/pic.

I just looked at the trap in my garage which has the original hoses still attached and the hole in the center of the top(the trap) goes to the air intake.

So as you can see the FCP diagram is different from the EEuroparts diagram.

Both pics are not real accurate if you look at them. The hole in the center of the top of the oil trap goes to the air intake from what I see out of all of this like Binglax points out with his diagram and post.

FWIW, I just checked my 96 855T which still has the original PCV plumbing as it has never been serviced since new.

- center hole of oil trap goes to the air intake pipe

- passenger-side hole of oil trap goes to the top of the cam cover. if this were plugged into the center hole of the oil trap, it would look like a bad fit given the curved shape of the hose.

anyway it's easy to inspect - just remove the fuel rail cover and a long screwdriver to poke the hoses around between the intake mani runners.

again this is for a 96 855. but i don't see it any different for MY94-98 unless the oil trap design has changed.

Archived