Volvospeed Forums

Scary Buzzing Noise & Slipping Out Of Gear

Ludeless

As if i wasn't having bad enough luck w/ the manhole cover incident...now it sounds like my transmission is about ready to grenade itself. There is this strange BUZZ almost a grinding noise when i accelerate sometimes. I posted something about it before ant ppl thought it was CV Joint or wheel bearing related, but i'm thinking something w/ the Auto Transmission now.

It started maybe 6 weeks ago, shortly after i changed my blown out spring seats and swaybar endlinks (they got screwed up from the manhole cover incident), and initially i could only hear it when i took a hard turn while accelerating, and even then it was very infrequent. Maybe one time overy 2 days. Then it happened once when i was going straight accelerating from a stoplight, so i started paying much closer attention to it.

The past couple of days whenever i drive the car now, it makes that horrid noise almost every time...not on every turn, but a LOT more often than it did. I have also had it happen on the highway when i was going ~65 & hit the gas...it started to downstift and BUZZZZ, and kinda slipped out of gear as the RPM's just reved up.

So yesterday, i recorded video of most of my driving w/ the digi-cam hoping to caputure the noise...i've tried explaining the noise to ppl, but letting you hear it for yourself will be a lot more effective...plus i got a chance to screw around w/ movie maker so that was a plus. :)

Anyway...here are some of the clips:

Probably the best clip that you can hear the noise...pretty bad grinding (sorry for the green roads...had the color swap on by mistake)

http://youtube.com/watch?v=cYbBkIBRax0

Quick Buzz in Turn then the car slips into neutral...lots of other turns and some figure 8 driving in a parking lot w/ no incidents

http://youtube.com/watch?v=tEIVowrPG58

Quick Buzz Noise followed by a couple quick pops....longer clip and the noise is slightly hard to hear in this one.

http://youtube.com/watch?v=GwKObuoL2bs

Couple fast accelerations while turning w/ no noises, then a couple quick pops after slow acceleration while turning

http://youtube.com/watch?v=JW_g47MaI4Q

So it's making these noises all the time now...and they are getting a LOT worse each time i drive. It's parked now and will be for a while, but i am taking it into have the floor panel rup and rocker panel fixed from the other incident. The shop needs to drop the entire engine/trans, subframe to access the area of the worst damage from that, so now i'm thinking i should have the transmission checked out...but i would like to know if anyone has a clue of what could be making this noise....and what could have caused it.

At this point i'm wondering if it could have been caused by that stupid manhole cover...It never made those noised before. The strange thing was every once in a while after i would come to a stop, and try to accelerate, I could hear the car rev up, but it would be very sluggish, almost like a parking brake was on, then there was a slight BUMP noise and it drove fine. I thought it could be a stuck caliper, but maybe that was trans related too. Other times when i shift from park to reverse or drive, it almost slams into gear...the car almost feels like it was rear ended as there's a quick vibration that travels through it.

Let me know if you guys have any ideas... Thanks!

1995 Volvo 855 T5-R

Automatic Transmission

110k miles

Here's the previous posts about what happened w/ a bunch of pics of the carnage from the manhole cover.

http://volvospeed.com/vs_forum/index.php?s...c=74861&hl=

http://volvospeed.com/vs_forum/index.php?s...c=75594&hl=

Any ideas on the noises yet?

I'm also wondering if an automatic transmission from a '94 850 (NON TURBO), would work in my car. My parents still have their 850 which they never use anymore... I'm thinking if my transmission is on it's way out, if it would be possible to swap w/ my parents one.

If that wouldn't work...does anyone have other ideas for how to get this thing fixed? I know nothing about transmissions, and am a little apprehensive about taking it to a shop that i have no experience with and having them tell me what's wrong. I don't know if it's something that just part of the trans could be fixed of if the entire thing is likely to be shot requiring me to find another one somewhere.

And finally...if i do need a new tranny...how difficult of a project would it be to make the car into a manual and loose the stupid automatic all together...

Thanks!

Oh yea...and if anyone happens to know of a good transmission shop in the Detroit Metro area...let me know

That sound is hideous, it sounds like a definite tranny or axle problem, was the transmission flused on a regualr basis, otherwise its just a function of age. The automatic transmission from nom turbos are different than turbo models

If the proper care to the transmission was taken care of than it very well have could have been caused by the manhole incident. My turbo has over 300k on its orignal tranny, but than again i flush it at 50,000 increments. If it was me and the body shop was already going to have the subframe out i would do a manual swap and ditch the automatic all together

Yea, hideous sounding is right! I wish the videos picked it up better, because it sounds so much more horrid in real life.

From the previous owners records there was some transmission work before i got it at ~95000 miles. (it's got 110k now). From the tranmission shops invoice:

88,900 miles 8/24/2004 "Transmission overhaul, Front strut cartridge, banner kit, torque converter" Kemmeco Transmissison $2,000.00

I personally haven't flushed the transmission myself, although the fluid was replaced about 5000 miles ago when i did my Pass side axle.

That sound is hideous, it sounds like a definite tranny or axle problem, was the transmission flused on a regualr basis, otherwise its just a function of age. The automatic transmission from nom turbos are different than turbo models

Are you leaking any trans fluid? Had to tell from the video...possibly your axles are not popped in all the way? If all is intact with the axles then I'm gonna say it's internal and possibly with the diff. But check to make sure your axles are both seated all the way in the trans.

Alright well I'm hoping it's not your trans, because that would suck unless you went for the manual swap then the trans isn't so bad if you have the money. I'm wondering if the insides of your CVs are blown to hell. This would account for slipping and popping, but not the on again off again nature.

Not leaking any trans fluid that i can see...levels are fine. Last time i had it up on the hoist when i did my spring seats and endlinks, i didn't notice anything wierd w/ the axles...they seemed to be seated properly, but then again i didn't really look too closely at this. I'll take a closer look at this tonight...just to be sure

If they weren't Seated properly wouldn't i be leaking fluid from that area?

Are you leaking any trans fluid? Had to tell from the video...possibly your axles are not popped in all the way? If all is intact with the axles then I'm gonna say it's internal and possibly with the diff. But check to make sure your axles are both seated all the way in the trans.

I would LOVE to do a manual swap...Having an automatic has always been my #1 gripe about the car....and it does sound like this could be a good time to do it since all the stuff is already going to be out of the car.

Just curious...does anyone know a ballpark number of how much it would cost for all the parts and stuff to do this? I'd also be curious to know how much time would be involved in such a job...I figure i'll really only be able to work on it for maybe 5 hours a night after i get off work, and then also on the weekends. I figure the car body will be in the shop for about 2 weeks...wondering if it could be done within that time.

The other part that'd complicate things is I really couldn't do any of the stuff inside the car (changing pedals, shifter...wiring maybe?) until I get this back from the shop. Would they still be able to put the engine/trans/subframe back into the car and just not connect any of the stuff needed for the manual conversion? (i'd of course have to have it towed back home to finish up the rest of it...which isn't a big deal)

The more i think about it...it might be a little too early for me to be taking on a task such as this...Being that i know nothing of transmissions and really haven't done too much research yet on exactly what is involved in a manual swap...i might be getting in way over my head...I would really like to learn how to do this though...and I don't mind spending the time and money...but maybe just doing swapping one auto for another would be a good first step...

QUOTE(matt b @ Jul 23 2007, 04:32 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
manual swap: best thing to have happened to my wagon. You won't regret it and you will have one rare car: yellow wagon with a straight drive and a turbo.

Everything you need in one, neat thread. How about that ? :)

Click here for manual swap info

Count on 2 days if you're doing it yourself and make sure that you have all the parts needed for the swap before you start. It delayed mine almost 10 days and I know of a couple other guys on here with items on back order. Count on $2K for all the parts. I know it sounds high and many people like to chime in and say they got it for "way less than that", but if anyone is taking into account all the details of the swap, they'll be close to $2 G's in no time.

Guest 850T-5

From the previous owners records there was some transmission work before i got it at ~95000 miles. (it's got 110k now). From the tranmission shops invoice: 88,900 miles 8/24/2004 "Transmission overhaul, Front strut cartridge, banner kit, torque converter" Kemmeco Transmissison $2,000.00 I personally haven't flushed the transmission myself, although the fluid was replaced about 5000 miles ago when i did my Pass side axle.

Unable to watch the videos right now but if you confirm everything is ok with the axles and mounts, especially if it is slipping out of gear I would suspect the transmission.

The previous owner getting a rebuild was a HUGE MISTAKE. First, Volvo doesn't even recommend rebuilding these transmissions and for about a couple grand you could get a remanufactured replacement from Volvo so it's definately not worth it. Even on other transmissions, I've heard so many transmission repair and rebuild stories it's ridiculous and these people rarely ever get it fixed right or their money back.

My bet is on the transmission given the rebuild, wouldn't surprise me at all. If that was the case since you do have the invoice and it it wasn't that long ago for the hell of it you may want to check in to what kind of warranty they provide.

Archived