Volvospeed Forums

Oh Noes!

ACES70

I was driving home from the Golf course last night and when I started my car the abs and emergency brake lights were on. (big deal I know the ABS unit is bad). I drive off and soon after the CEL comes on and then the dreaded flashing arrow. I got the codes pulled today and Im not sure what to think.

Code1- po722- speed sensor no input

code2- p1633- KAM voltage too low

code3- p1618 SBDS Interactive Codes

What the hell do these mean? I know about the first but ive never seen the other two.

Also how do I contact Victor about the ABS repair?

I answered most of my own questions, but I still need to know about why the flashing transmission arrow would come on. Most of the other posts about this subject dont deal with an S70 or they say these codes did not result in the flashing arrow.

Once the codes were cleared however the flashing arrow did stop.

I also contacted Victor and hope to hear back soon.

Vic stated once that a bad abs module can cause the transmission to start on 2nd or 3rd gear. That could be what is causing the flashing arrow to come up. My car has the same problem but the arrow will only come on every once in a while after my abs and brake light have lit up and i stop at a light or stop sign. the flashing arrow goes away after the car has been turned off for a while.

Im hoping that fixing the abs module will fix the problem.

First of all you need to be patient for an answer,most of us that can give correct answers have jobs? ......The codes you stated are all VSS(vehicle speed sensor) communication related and are probably all linked to the ABS module as said already. The trans relies on a signal from the VSS which runs through the module and if it does not get that reference signal it can and will throw the trans into limp mode resulting in the flashing arrow. Do you have an ABS light as well? Do you have any ABS codes. My guess is your using a generic code reader (which is fine) however that will only allow you to access ECM faults not TCM or PCM faults. My guess is the problem probably lies within the ABS module as it is a quite common failure. It is only a guess. I personally use Victor's services and he is top notch.

;)

First of all you need to be patient for an answer,most of us that can give correct answers have jobs? ......The codes you stated are all VSS(vehicle speed sensor) communication related and are probably all linked to the ABS module as said already. The trans relies on a signal from the VSS which runs through the module and if it does not get that reference signal it can and will throw the trans into limp mode resulting in the flashing arrow. Do you have an ABS light as well? Do you have any ABS codes. My guess is your using a generic code reader (which is fine) however that will only allow you to access ECM faults not TCM or PCM faults. My guess is the problem probably lies within the ABS module as it is a quite common failure. It is only a guess. I personally use Victor's services and he is top notch.

;)

Thanks for the info, I was at work while I was posting the thread. I assumed everybody blew off work and looked at VS, lol. Yea the more I search the more it makes me feel alot better. I have been having the ABS module problems for awhile now but had never had the trans light come on so it startled me.

• 2 weeks later...

Hello All -

Been checking these forums for a few days & decided to sign up and put my 2 cents in... I've got what (I hope) is a related problem with my 99 XC70. Last week the CEL goes on - with my (generic) reader I get codes P1618 and P1633. Clear the codes - P1618 comes back solid - right away. (I do this several times just to check). From checking posts here I think/know that P1618 means essentially a broken wire - no communication between TCM and ECU. (If I'm wrong here somebody please let me know... ) I found an old post here about someone finding a broken wire on the tranny temperature sensor and fixing it to make the code go away - hopes of such an easy (read:CHEAP) fix have filled my dreams for the past few days. So a few questions to get me started on my quest... just where is this tranny temp sensor? and where/how is the connecting cable run from TCM to ECU? Since they are (apparently) sitting right next to each other in that black box near the "AC low side freon fill" thingy, the cable must run from there out & back... anybody got some suggestions?

NEWSFLASH *** Additional info - wife reports speedometer stopped working for about 30 seconds today, then started working again - got code P1633 back but was able to clear it. I've heard rumors that P1633 is Vehicle Speed Sensor - possibly another wire to check... so where is that located?

Hello All -

Been checking these forums for a few days & decided to sign up and put my 2 cents in... I've got what (I hope) is a related problem with my 99 XC70. Last week the CEL goes on - with my (generic) reader I get codes P1618 and P1633. Clear the codes - P1618 comes back solid - right away. (I do this several times just to check). From checking posts here I think/know that P1618 means essentially a broken wire - no communication between TCM and ECU. (If I'm wrong here somebody please let me know... ) I found an old post here about someone finding a broken wire on the tranny temperature sensor and fixing it to make the code go away - hopes of such an easy (read:CHEAP) fix have filled my dreams for the past few days. So a few questions to get me started on my quest... just where is this tranny temp sensor? and where/how is the connecting cable run from TCM to ECU? Since they are (apparently) sitting right next to each other in that black box near the "AC low side freon fill" thingy, the cable must run from there out & back... anybody got some suggestions?

NEWSFLASH *** Additional info - wife reports speedometer stopped working for about 30 seconds today, then started working again - got code P1633 back but was able to clear it. I've heard rumors that P1633 is Vehicle Speed Sensor - possibly another wire to check... so where is that located?

You have the same problem as I did. It sounds like an ABS module, same as mine.

Hello again all -

While it may be the ABS, I'm not quite ready to drink the Cool-Aid & throw expensive parts at this just yet... I got burned at the dealership a few months back for an SRS light that wouldn't go away... cost $110.00 to find out a cable connection was loose in the seat belt harness...

Also some of the other symptoms of ABS failure are missing like (other) transmission codes, ABS light, flashing arrows, misbehaving Transmission...etc.

Anyway, while checking further I notice some corrosion (actually quite a bit) below and around the battery - perhaps acid venting during the recent hot weather in July around here (NYC suburbs...) makes me even more suspicous of wiring, since several cables seem to run right through this area to & from the tranny... so does anybody know which cables are which? I would hope that with all the tranny swapping going on out there (5-speed conversions etc) somebody would know where all these cables go and/or do... Thanks again

Hello again all -

While it may be the ABS, I'm not quite ready to drink the Cool-Aid & throw expensive parts at this just yet... I got burned at the dealership a few months back for an SRS light that wouldn't go away... cost $110.00 to find out a cable connection was loose in the seat belt harness...

Also some of the other symptoms of ABS failure are missing like (other) transmission codes, ABS light, flashing arrows, misbehaving Transmission...etc.

Anyway, while checking further I notice some corrosion (actually quite a bit) below and around the battery - perhaps acid venting during the recent hot weather in July around here (NYC suburbs...) makes me even more suspicous of wiring, since several cables seem to run right through this area to & from the tranny... so does anybody know which cables are which? I would hope that with all the tranny swapping going on out there (5-speed conversions etc) somebody would know where all these cables go and/or do... Thanks again

Most of those cables are the grounding wires. The flashing arrow, andd misbehaving tranny didnt start happening to me for a long time after my first knowledge of ABS module going bad. And the ABS module isnt that expensive to replace. Send it to Victor and its 140$ plus shipping. Thats what im going to do.

Archived