Volvospeed Forums

Timing Marks Off Before You Start?

sleddriver

1998 V70 T5 138,500 miles.

My first post here:

After finally receiving all the parts for a timing belt change, I pull the covers, rotate the crankshaft around CW to line them up on top . . . and they're a bit off.

So I looked down below at the crank pulley and it looks like the line on the engine is not between the two teeth with the slit on them, but in the next valley over?! And it's been like this for 6 years, when the indy shop last replaced the belt. Evidently my indy didn't do a final check . . .

I can post photos if there's a way.

Anyone seen this before they start?

P.S. I measured it with a protractor and both intake & exhaust cams are off about 10 degrees, around one tooth, so that the marks on the camshafts pass the notch on the plastic cover as the crankshaft is rotated CW.

My next Q: Can I rotate each camshaft backwards one tooth to realign them after taking the belt off?

Thanks,

Yes you can rotate the camshafts slightly in either direction without any problem. I would line up the crankshaft mark, remove the belt and line up the cams on their marks.

Make sure you're looking at the correct mark on the block for the crank. I've seen people get confused with other marks. There's a good pic that's out here on the forum somewhere. I'll see if I can find it.

Here's a post with a pic of the crank timing marks:

http://volvospeed.com/vs_forum/index.php?s...3&hl=timing

Much thanks for the reply. I'm done for tonight. I thought to look at one of the intake cams through the Oil fill cap and noticed that the min. part of the cam lobe was in contact with the valve, thus it was closed. In this position, a tooth off isn't going to make much difference.

I'll be doing everything I can get to: Water pump, both rollers, hydr. ten., TB, front crank seal and both cam seals. Then I won't have to worry about it for quite awhile.

Great pics of the crank timing mark.

Alvin, what do you think about pinning this thread? A lot of folks seem to have questions on the correct position of the crank pulley timing marks and these pics are the clearest I've seen.

Good idea. I'll also remind everyone about Bay 13 (Rich Kelley's) write up on the timing belt replacement procedure. It too has nice pics. The write up can be found at Bay 13 - Maintenance & Repairs.

850 S/V/C 70 Timing Belt Replacement

Archived