Volvospeed Forums

C70 Convertible Didn't Start After ......

Guest Guest_Todd_*

Guest Guest_Todd_*

Hi everyone,..a newbie to the Volvo world and I'm driving an 01 C70 convertible. Had the car for about 4 months now and I must say she's a beaut! On that note though,..I noticed that after picking up my son from his grandmothers about 30 miles away and returning home,..I shut off the car to go in the house and let the dog in from the inside of the house before opening the garage door to pull the car in (as I always do). When I went back to the car to start it,...she didn't turn over. Weird I thought as I was only in the house for about 1 minute. As a test I tried to turn the headlights and they didn't come on although the parking lights did and the interior lights were OK. I waited about 20 minutes, tried again and she attempted a half spirited turn over but it failed again. After about an hour later she started right up and I pulled it in. Now I'm nervous about driving this thing tomorrow. I will say that I did notice that the headlights were in the on position when I tried to start it the first time...therefore wondering if I had the lights on all day while parked at my office,...however it drove great during my lunch hour at work and when I left the office to get my son.....so it couldn't have been the lights. The battery cables look snug and clean too. AFter pulling it in the garage, I shut off the car and tried the headlights again and they still do not come on but the parking lights do as do the interior lights. Any idea as to what is happening? Is my alternator about to go out?

Side question: Can the Volvo headlights turn on when the car is not running normally if you try them? With Most cars you can do this.

Guest Guest_Todd_*

OK,..the car had to be towed today and it would start when the battery was jumped but would die out soon after.

And then it died while driving.....and I was able to pull off the busy road and wait for the tow truck.

I believe it to be the alternator. I'll know more when the mechanic looks at it tomorrow.

A bad MAF wouldn't cause a problem like this, and would set a DTC.

And to answer your question, the headlights won't come on unless the car is on. I assume it's to prevent people from leaving their lights on. I keep my switch in the on position so my lights come on every time I start the car. Maybe you've noticed other Volvos you see with lights on in the middle of the day. My '89 does this also.

It twas the Alternator and now I'm about 700 bucks slimmer too. But it has been replaced and the car is as good as new again. Oh,..also learned about the stereo code as well. That is now functional as well.

Archived