Volvospeed Forums

2000 S40 Cylinder Ii Misfiring With Cel P0302

Guest Veeru

Yesterday I got a check engine light and the car is loosing power at 0-15 mph speed. Some times when moving from redlight, check engine light is flashing and it's changing to constant light after 25 mph.

Today I checked the CEL at autozone and it came out as P0302 misfiring 2nd cylinder. The car had original plugs and wires. Few months back, it got starting problem, which got resolved with replacing Fuel pressure regulator. Dealer also suggested to change MAF (Mass Air flow), which I rejected.

Does any one have suggestings before I hit that dealship?

Thanks,

Veeru

2000 S40 with 68k miles (II owner)

Replace plugs with Genuine OEM Volvo Plugs, they work the best guaranteed, many aftermarkets, especially BOSCH cause problems or fail prematurely.

There aren't any wires, just coil packs so while replacing the plugs, I'd swap the middle coil packs while your at it and reset codes.

If it comes back and is now on another cylinder that coil pack is more than likely bad and needs to be replaced. If the problem goes away a spark plug went bad, which can happen.

I'm hoping I'm reading this wrong...... :rolleyes:

68K on original spark plugs?

btw, we do have two coil packs and two spark plug wires. Replace with OEM spark plugs first or NGK brand.

I am not 100% sure, but when I asked the previous owner about what was changed, he said nothing except battery tires and brakes. So I thought the car was so good and bought it right away at 60 K miles last year.

In last 12 months I ended up paying $2000 for small stupid problems at dealership.

Thanks for the replies and I will try getting changed plugs first.

Thanks,

Veeru

I am not 100% sure, but when I asked the previous owner about what was changed, he said nothing except battery tires and brakes. So I thought the car was so good and bought it right away at 60 K miles last year.

In last 12 months I ended up paying $2000 for small stupid problems at dealership.

Thanks for the replies and I will try getting changed plugs first.

Thanks,

Veeru

Browse s40concepts.net on How-to section for serveral maintenance procedures.

For the time being the problem was gone after adding a bottle of Fuel Injection Cleaner and changing to 93 octane gas, now CEL and misfiring both gone. I am always using 87 octane, and a friend of mine advised to change it to high octane gas and a bottle of Fuel Injection cleaner before going to dealer, which worked perfectly.

Many Thanks for the advices.

Veeru

:)

For the time being the problem was gone after adding a bottle of Fuel Injection Cleaner and changing to 93 octane gas, now CEL and misfiring both gone. I am always using 87 octane, and a friend of mine advised to change it to high octane gas and a bottle of Fuel Injection cleaner before going to dealer, which worked perfectly.

Many Thanks for the advices.

Veeru

:)

Please tell me you gonna change the spark plugs! Nobody in the right mind run regular on a turbocharged car? They require premium gas from the factory.

Please tell me you gonna change the spark plugs! Nobody in the right mind run regular on a turbocharged car? They require premium gas from the factory.

Nope, What I said was 100% TRUE. I am always using 87 octane from last one year (I am 2nd owner), and I don't have knowledge to use high octane on Turbo charged engines, until my friend mentioned it.

Thanks,

Veeru

Nope, What I said was 100% TRUE. I am always using 87 octane from last one year (I am 2nd owner), and I don't have knowledge to use high octane on Turbo charged engines, until my friend mentioned it.

Thanks,

Veeru

Well, even though you run premium gas now, you still need to change the spark plugs as it got 68K miles on it already.

Well, even though you run premium gas now, you still need to change the spark plugs as it got 68K miles on it already.

Sure, I am planing to schedule a dealer 60K service. I think my self and my previous owner, both are so lazy on maintenance. Previous owner a lawyer Kept the car on street for 3 months with out running (since he bought a benz) and when I first saw, couple of tires were flat and it is so dirty. Since there are no blemishes and when I started engine, it ran smooth and I took it with out any hesitation). He said it was ran good and nothing changed from new other than regular items like tires, brakes and a battery. He didn't mentioned to me about high octane fuel, so I am simply using regular gas. It's my bad on not knowing the facts about the car.

Now on I will follow Service manual maintenance.

Many thanks,

Veeru.

:rolleyes:

Sure, I am planing to schedule a dealer 60K service. I think my self and my previous owner, both are so lazy on maintenance. Previous owner a lawyer Kept the car on street for 3 months with out running (since he bought a benz) and when I first saw, couple of tires were flat and it is so dirty. Since there are no blemishes and when I started engine, it ran smooth and I took it with out any hesitation). He said it was ran good and nothing changed from new other than regular items like tires, brakes and a battery. He didn't mentioned to me about high octane fuel, so I am simply using regular gas. It's my bad on not knowing the facts about the car.

Now on I will follow Service manual maintenance.

Many thanks,

Veeru.

:rolleyes:

Dont' go to dealer for 60K service....you can do all of that yourself. All you need to do is drain/fill transmission fluid, coolant, oil, new spark plugs, spark wires, air filter, cabin filter. Then you are good to go.

Everything I have mention can be done at your driveway. I have mention a website for procedures and pictures ;)

• 2 weeks later...

Dont' go to dealer for 60K service....you can do all of that yourself. All you need to do is drain/fill transmission fluid, coolant, oil, new spark plugs, spark wires, air filter, cabin filter. Then you are good to go.

Everything I have mention can be done at your driveway. I have mention a website for procedures and pictures ;)

Today the CEL came again with that occational misfire. At last I dared to open the hood and open that plastic cover and it seems to me the engine oil spill over the plug wires and further there is small oil went inside the spark plug hole (first cylinder hole on passenger side). Also the shield over the wires was so brittle and most of it's now like small bits and pieces all over that place. I open the 2 easy plug wires and see some oil in one plug hole with those broken shield pieces. I didn't open the plugs, since I am afraid that small particles may get inside. I tried my best to clean the holes for oil and pieces (with vacum cleaner).

After your boost on DIY, now I feel confident to do it.

Now I have few questions.

1. How to find out the cynlinder #2, which caused misfire (P0302).

2. I see oil spill on first cylinder from passenger side (near right tire)

3. At what mileage coil packs should be replaced

Do you think It's ok to change the plugs, or I should take it to the dealer for cleaning oil professionally before placing new plugs?

Thanks,

Veeru

We at Advance Auto Parts usually only recomend changing faulty coil packs. So like 850T-5 said, switch the suspect coil pack with one from a cylinder that isn't throwing a misfire code, erase the codes, and see if the problem follow the coil pack. If it does, just replace that one, with all new plugs. As for the wire loom, use a light and make sure you get all of it out of the spark plug hole.

Archived