Volvospeed Forums

Tie Rod Ends (jmstar......karlyn/ati From Germany)

cn90

Hi,

I bought a pair of OUTER Tie Rod Ends from FCP Groton. PN 271598 & 271599.

On the package it says:

"OEM Volvo Parts from Germany"

On the Tie Rod itself, there is a name on it "JMSTAR"

Called FCP Groton, was told this is made by Karlyn/ATI from Germany.

Anyone with experience using this brand? I think this is NOT Scan Tech (Swedish company)

cn90

98 V70 85K miles

If you like the risk of putting Chinese made suspension components on your Volvo, sure use them.

Looks like FCP is still up to their old tricks of selling crap and listing it as OE brands, German or OE. This is why I don't do business with them anymore. Then if you ask them about it, they'll probably try and tell you it's the same as OEM.

JMSTAR

Our company general company name jonway group, branch factory named jmstar motorcycle co, .ltd and China-base trading co,.ltd.was set up 1992 and especial for producing moulds, motorcycle, electric vehicle, parts of above. We have four producing bases, our head company is in Taizhou city especial for producing moulds, parts; branch factory in Shanghai for producing motorcycle and parts.

Go with TRW, Moog or Karlyn from thepartsbin.com. They won't pull the kind of crap that FCP continually and knowingly tries to get away with. You'll also get free shipping on orders over $50.00.

When I saw the low price on FCP, I gave them a call about the outer tie-rod end and was told they are Taiwan made. Ended up getting mine from NAPA which offers lifetime warranty on their suspension components made by Dana (They take AAA discount too).

btw, the company 'profile' below is hilarious :lol:

If you like the risk of putting Chinese made suspension components on your Volvo, sure use them.

Looks like FCP is still up to their old tricks of selling crap and listing it as OE brands, German or OE. This is why I don't do business with them anymore. Then if you ask them about it, they'll probably try and tell you it's the same as OEM.

JMSTAR

Our company general company name jonway group, branch factory named jmstar motorcycle co, .ltd and China-base trading co,.ltd.was set up 1992 and especial for producing moulds, motorcycle, electric vehicle, parts of above. We have four producing bases, our head company is in Taizhou city especial for producing moulds, parts; branch factory in Shanghai for producing motorcycle and parts.

Go with TRW, Moog or Karlyn from thepartsbin.com. They won't pull the kind of crap that FCP continually and knowingly tries to get away with. You'll also get free shipping on orders over $50.00.

On the bag of the tie rods, it says:

OEM Volvo Parts from Germany

On the Tie Rod itself, there is a name on it "JMSTAR"

Accordoing to you then this is fraud, mis-representing information.

Where did you find the link for JMSTAR?

just did a search earlier as I was curious, and came upon the company's information.

yes it is a form of fraud. completely misleading and dishonest at the least.

most people don't think twice and just use the cheap parts. they have substituted things they advertise as a certain brand or OE quality for cheap quality ScanTech on a regular basis which is why I no longer do business with them.

now I guess they have gone a step lower supplying "made in China" parts which could be even worse than ScanTech.

Have never had that happen with other online Volvo parts source. I cannot justify it like some people do with "oh their prices are cheap" since I pay the same or near the same for actual OE supplier or OE quality parts.

Surprisingly, this doesn't seem to bother most people here. many keep going back raving about how great they are because the guys there are "so cool". don't really understand it myself but that's up to them.

It's funny but I got the same thing from FCP. They seem pretty solid so far, they seem beefier than the stock ones.. but I don't know how long they'll last. I bought sway bar links from them though, not tie rods.

It's funny but I got the same thing from FCP. They seem pretty solid so far, they seem beefier than the stock ones.. but I don't know how long they'll last. I bought sway bar links from them though, not tie rods.

Is IPD Tie Rod made by "Febi"?

http://www.ipdusa.com/Volvo-SV70-1998-2000...8-373-691-1330/

At $15.00/each, it is a good price.

IPD is a reputable place IMHO.

Anyone bought these tie rods from IPD?

Give them a call before ordering, and let us know.

To give FCP Groton the benefit of the doubt, and as I follow-up, I called FCP Groton and mentioned that at the bottom of the OUTER Tie Rod ends, it says "JMSTAR".

The Plastic Bag says "OEM Volvo parts, the art of German Engineering"

The manager of FCP Groton informed me that they have sold hundreds of this without any problems.

These are made by Karlyn STI (same company that makes BREMI sp plug wires)

Then I called Karlyn STI HQ in NY State just to be sure and FCP Groton was correct:

<a href="http://www.streetperformance.com/index.htm...edlisting=14384" rel="nofollow" target="_blank">http://www.streetperformance.com/index.htm...edlisting=14384</a>

http://www.karlynsti.com/

The Karlyn STI people confirmed that the word "JMSTAR" is from them and the Tie Rod Ends are made by Karlyn STI, not some cheap Taiwanese crap.

So, great I feel better and will use these Tie Rods by Karlyn STI.

Will report back if any problems arise.

Otherwise so far so good.

That's pretty wierd and doesn't make much sense.

JMSTAR is a Taiwanese manufacturer NOT a a distributor or company that rebrands components like ScanTech or MTC.

I mean why would Karlyn, a German company that produces many OE components make a component they stamp JMSTAR, some unknown Taiwanese company on it?

This would sound reasonable and make perfect if they were stamped ScanTech or MTC that Karlyn could have made them.

Maybe Karlyn is having these manufactured in Taiwan and selling them as Karlyn?

That's pretty wierd and doesn't make much sense.

JMSTAR is a Taiwanese manufacturer NOT a a distributor or company that rebrands components like ScanTech or MTC.

I mean why would Karlyn, a German company that produces many OE components make a component they stamp JMSTAR, some unknown Taiwanese company on it?

This would sound reasonable and make perfect if they were stamped ScanTech or MTC that Karlyn could have made them.

Maybe Karlyn is having these manufactured in Taiwan and selling them as Karlyn?

I just called Karlyn STI again.

You were correct.

These were made in Taiwan. Not necessarily means it is no good as these days products are being made all over the world.

But I guess I will return these to FCP Groton and get the tie rods from IPDUSA (made by Meyle).

UPDATE:

I am returning the "JMSTAR" (Karlyn STI) Tie Rods Ends to FCP Groton.

Per FCP Groton, they have been selling tons of these Taiwanese-made Tie Rod Ends without problems.

Maybe this is "insecurity" on my parts ha! As I look around the house, virtually all the things in the house are made in China (laptop, toys, computers, boombox etc and etc.)....so soon or later we have to learn to live with Chinese or Taiwanese auto parts.

For some reasons, we love "German-made" parts for the Euro imports (VW, Audi, Volvo, BMW etc.).

So I just bought the "Meyle" Tie Rod Ends from IPD USA for $16/each.

I asked them where it is made and they say "Made in Turkey".

Great, Thanksgiving is coming soon, so I need Turkey! LMAO!

Maybe I should not be so 'insecure'............

cn90

98 V70

I just called Karlyn STI again.

You were correct.

These were made in Taiwan. Not necessarily means it is no good as these days products are being made all over the world.

But I guess I will return these to FCP Groton and get the tie rods from IPDUSA (made by Meyle).

Archived