Volvospeed Forums

Early 960 Throttle Plate On Na 850

tjts1

Our 96 NA 850 has a very thick plastic bit molded onto the throttle plate. From what I've seen around the JY's this is common to all 850s, both turbo (55mm) and non turbo (65mm) as well as 95+ 960s (also 65mm). It looks to me like its only purpose in life is to reduce throttle response by forcing all the air to pass through one side of the throttle for the first 15 degrees of opening. My 94 960 never had the plastic and throttle response seems much sharper than the NA 850. Today I picked up another 93 960 throttle plate at the JY without the plastic bit to install on the 850. While at the JY I had a chance to compare the 93 960 throttle body to a 94 850 throttle body. They are identical in every way except for this plastic bit on the throttle plate. Has anybody tried getting rid of this thing or swapped in an early 960 throttle body?

thanks

you woul dhave to swap the throttle plate itself, the 960 throttle is different from the 850 one iirc

I only bought the throttle plate and shaft. But I had a chance to inspect both NA 850 and 960 throttle bodies side by side for a few minutes. They are identical in every way.

I only bought the throttle plate and shaft. But I had a chance to inspect both NA 850 and 960 throttle bodies side by side for a few minutes. They are identical in every way.

i could have swore that the linkage was wrong...either it was backwards or on the wrong side, idk, i dont have my na throttle with me, only my 960 one

i could have swore that the linkage was wrong...either it was backwards or on the wrong side, idk, i dont have my na throttle with me, only my 960 one

that is for making the 960 tb 850 compliant because the tps is mounted differently on the 960 and it doesn't allow the 850 harness to stretch around and reach it when mounted.

as for the throttle plate itself it will directly swap in.

that is for making the 960 tb 850 compliant because the tps is mounted differently on the 960 and it doesn't allow the 850 harness to stretch around and reach it when mounted.

Yes, that is correct. The TPS is rotated 180 degrees on the 850 vs the 960. The plate its mounted on is backwards but the rest of the TB is the same and the mounting plate can be rotated around on either TB to make it work on both cars.

Joe with the save, i knew there was some reason i didnt use it.

i made mine fit

• 2 weeks later...

I just finished installing the new throttle plate before the rain. Haven't had a chance to drive it yet. It still needs a few hours for the locktite and silicone to cure.

TB as it came out of the car with the plastic molded into the plate. When you open the throttle just a few degrees, it only lets in air though one side but not the other. This essentially makes the throttle half as responsive in the initial few degrees.

2141778679_c0fdedd9fd_o.jpg

Fully open you can see the big chunk of plastic hanging off the throttle plate.

2142569670_8c0f64a20d_o.jpg

NA 850 plate with wedge shaped chunk of plastic and 960 plate on the right.

2141778853_48fb5c346c_o.jpg

Fully assembled 850 tb with 960 plate.

2141778903_26c615feb6_o.jpg

WOT. I trimmed the screws after this pic was taken.

2141778941_d3fdbdb65d_o.jpg

Done. From start to finish the whole project too about 1 hour including drilling out one of the 2 screws holding in the original throttle plate. Thank god I had extras. Not bad for essetially free modification. I also tightened up the throttle cable a bit to take out the slack.

2142569924_2850d5e6b4_o.jpg

Archived