Volvospeed Forums

Replacement Of Ipd Sway Bar Bushings?

ErikS

My 25mm IPD front sway bar bushings are toast after 2 1/2 yrs. Is my only option really a new front sway? No one seems to carry the larger bushings, all that comes up on my searches is scantech for the stock ones and we all know that's not going to work. I can't beileve their isn't a repair kit . . . then I found this while searching

"I found that you can get a set of polys with washers (that don't fit) from pep-boys for 1/5 the price of the IPD set. You have to sand them down a bit but the price was right and you get two sets! I cannot attest to longevity either as they have only been in place for two months, but they don't make noise and so far they work great . . ."

My questions are . . . .

Has anybody done this?

Are there other bushings out there with a 25mm inside diameter that can be "sanded down"?

I'm buying a new set of sway bars, aren't I?

Uhhh have you called IPD? Last I heard you can special order the bushings directly from them.....

As far as "other bushings" you shouldn't have a problem, IPD swaybar's outside diameter is usually slightly over 25mm, especially by the time you factor in the coating (The older ones were powdercoated, not sure if yours are that old or not), so a standard 1inch (25.4mm) swaybar bushing should be easily adapted to work.

how do you know they are shot? Symptoms? I've had mine on for about 4 years or so now...

Decreased understeer from when I 1st installed them, ""clunking" sound that is both heard and felt coming from both front wheels when driving over un-even pavement and/or potholes.

Decreased understeer from when I 1st installed them, ""clunking" sound that is both heard and felt coming from both front wheels when driving over un-even pavement and/or potholes.

And I've been looking at other suspension items and bolts aside from my swaybar bushings for those noises! argh. hahaha

Thanks for the heads up! I'll be in contact with Ipd to get me new ones...

I called about the same thing, seems there is a new bushing and hardware kit out now for $34. No free bushings for me. :tdown:

$34 plus an hour install is still worth it. It is abolutely amazing what two small peices of plastic can do to the handling of a car.

I called about the same thing, seems there is a new bushing and hardware kit out now for $34. No free bushings for me. :tdown:

I dont see that on their website... *Shrugs* not for the x70 series at least. I see they have bushing kits for other cars, which reminds me that I have some to replace on another volvo.

Archived