Volvospeed Forums

Ouch! Pot Hole, Bent Wheel, Not Pretty

Jwrape

:o :o:o I was driving to lunch and hit a DEEP pot hole in the road. It instantly flattened my tire and as i get out and look, found that it bent both inside and outside lips of the front wheel. I think I will be able to beat it back into place with a rubber mallet but if not then I will have to buy a new wheel for $386... :rolleyes: Right now for the time being I am driving my Dad's Quest back and forth until I get the wheel fixed.

Pics

ATT445636.jpg

Dad's 88Quest Tsi SHP

ConquestSHP.jpg

• Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply

man thats why i have stock rims, trying to get money from the city is such a pita. philly streets are straight crap so its drive at your own risk usually

man thats why i have stock rims, trying to get money from the city is such a pita. philly streets are straight crap so its drive at your own risk usually

I will at least make a complaint and see. I just left a message for the lady and talked really nice so maybe she will call me back after her lunch break. If not i will continue to call. I am thinking that since Sandy Springs is a new city and the mayor is always preaching how wonderful the city is and how they pledge to clean it up that they will help me out. We will see.

Update: Just got off the phone with Sandy Springs Public Works. She was very nice and told me to take pics of the area, the hole and my wheel and send them to her and she will see what she can do about helping me out with the wheel and tire. She said they have just changed the policy on how these claims are handled but she will see what she can do, didn't promise anythng but sounds good so far.

If they don't pony up the money you could buy a dayton hammer (lead) and pound it back in place

It's not the prettiest fix but should get you through winter.

If they don't pony up the money you could buy a dayton hammer (lead) and pound it back in place

It's not the prettiest fix but should get you through winter.

I borrowed my Dad's HUGE rubber mallet. It should do the job, hopefully. If not he has a harder plastic hammer that he said would definately do it. I am leaving the tire on to kinda act as a buffer behind the lip to keep from beating it too hard. But I am waiting to hear from the City before I attempt to fix it. If they will buy me a new wheel then I will go that route.

New pics I had to take of the scene and the wheel to send to the city for potential re-embursement. Just thought I would share.

wheel2.jpg

Wheel.jpg

PotHole6.jpg

PotHOle5.jpg

PotHole4.jpg

PotHole3.jpg

PotHole2.jpg

After looking at the hole, it doesn't look like it would have done that much damage, but I guess it's deceptive.

Here in Boston, we wouldn't think twice about a little hole like that. They are on every road it seems, and cars always hitting them. Pics make a good lesson on use of low profile tires with poor roads - the lack of sidewall for cushion takes it out of wheel. It's why I always run winter wheels up here, although you being in Georgia, winter isn't particularly the issue.

My car got nailed earlier this month here in Houston, I did some searching and it seems the city of Aurora, CO has come up with one of the best ideas I've ever heard !!!!!

Find a pothole, get paid

People power FTW. Not only are they putting cash in resident's pockets, but they are also not having to waste tax dollars driving around crews to find the bad parts of their roads

Guest Guest_chicopee_*

check the tire, especially on the inside. there is a very good chance you damaged the sidewalls of your tire. To damage a rim like that you end up pinching the side wall between the rim and the pothole. This can cut the side wall chords and it will lead to separation. Good luck!

Archived