Volvospeed Forums

Oh Snap!

Austin H

So I was out changing my gear shifter and while I was putting the new one on I broke the flimsy so called plastic piece for the button.

So here is what I believe I can do:

1) Find the most intense super glue of all time and glue it back together.

2) Put a screw or nail into the remaining black piece and make it work somehow...

3) Macgyver something else.

Here is where it broke

DSC02203.jpg

This is the piece that broke

DSC02206.jpg

Here is what I was trying to install. The fancy wood shifter :)

DSC02204.jpg

Here is my new shifter... :o

car007.jpg

So I was out changing my gear shifter and while I was putting the new one on I broke the flimsy so called plastic piece for the button.

So here is what I believe I can do:

1) Find the most intense super glue of all time and glue it back together.

2) Put a screw or nail into the remaining black piece and make it work somehow...

3) Macgyver something else.

edit: Pictures up soon!

Sorry - I replied before seeing the pictures.

I would try the intense super glue approach first.

Scott C.

Unfortuately, even the most intense super glue will not work. FACT. When you try to re-install, it will simply break again.

The replacement part (I have the number at home) is quite inexpensive from Volvo. The PITA about it is that you have to remove the shifter grip to get the new unit to slide over the shifter. If you go this route, buy two because you will bet you will break the first one (like I did) on the first try. If not, you can return the other one.

Sorry - that's the only sure fire way.

Scott C.

Just to make sure we are on the same page, it is the piece that I just posted pictures about?

If you have the part number that would be amazing if I could get that from you today or tomorrow or this week. Thanks for your help!

-Austin

JB weld that bitch

I may just do that ;)

Plus wrap the broken part in duct tape...

No but seriously I may just do this...

Or I'm thinking about taking the Pizza hut pen, cutting it to length then seeing if it will work. Super glue the pen on there. I'm just worried about the size of the pen.

I'll get it fixed somehow.

You know, I've never taken my shifter apart, but I am guessing that pushing on the button on the front articulates that shaft inside which unlocks the position of the shifter?

(Just curious. Also, glad you rigged up a fix! It's a good feeling. I fixed that nasty seat-back cable in my car with pretty much scissors and a bit of tape. Much better than paying $200 for Volvo to do it or $50 for a new cable :D )

You know, I've never taken my shifter apart, but I am guessing that pushing on the button on the front articulates that shaft inside which unlocks the position of the shifter?

Correct. You push the button on the shifter, which then pushes down on the black piece (that I broke) then you can move it from Park to Drive etc.

Archived