Volvospeed Forums

Two Piece Bbs Rim Bolt Torque

I searched all over VS and could not find the answer so here I post. I have 18" Trtions and I am disassembling them so that I can paint the centers. My question is what is the torque spec for those 30 odd bolt around the edge when I go to put the wheel back together? Should I use thread locker? I plan on powdercoating the centers anthracite and stripping the silver paint on the wheel lip and taking it to a shop to have it polished. Any help is appreciated.

do the bolts seal air in the rim at all or do they just hold the centres to the wheel??.. and do the bolts have any o-rings/washers?...

You are thinking of a three piece rim. On a three piece I usually paint the inside of the rim for the reasons you mentioned.

what problems would it cause??.. and where would you get the correct replacements from??..

well, because of the torque on them from the factory, along with the crazy amount of locktite they use, when you remove them, you are inducing stresses into the steel bolts. ie. they stretch and warp upon removal.....it's always safe to get new ones in there and torque them down correctly, and in the right order....these wheels will be put through alot of weight and rotation and obstacles, no way you want to take the risk. not to mention that you may end up snapping some of the heads right off of the bolts during removal. you may need to drill/tap some of them out lol....i had 11 of the 76 i think it was bust on me....my wheel refinishing took about 4 months to do because of the pain and anguish, whereas Paul's took only a few days lol.

order from Thomas and Pertsch & Partner in Germany. It took me months to find this place. I believe the link there is what you would need, but you may want to all Thomas and speak to him personally, or take a measurement of one of yours to be sure. I don't have any of mine hand, otherwise I would confirm it for you. I ordered 85 of them just to have some spares laying around.

what problems would it cause??.. and where would you get the correct replacements from??..

well, because of the torque on them from the factory, along with the crazy amount of locktite they use, when you remove them, you are inducing stresses into the steel bolts. ie. they stretch and warp upon removal.....it's always safe to get new ones in there and torque them down correctly, and in the right order....these wheels will be put through alot of weight and rotation and obstacles, no way you want to take the risk. not to mention that you may end up snapping some of the heads right off of the bolts during removal. you may need to drill/tap some of them out lol....i had 11 of the 76 i think it was bust on me....my wheel refinishing took about 4 months to do because of the pain and anguish, whereas Paul's took only a few days lol.

order from Thomas and Pertsch & Partner in Germany. It took me months to find this place. I believe the link there is what you would need, but you may want to all Thomas and speak to him personally, or take a measurement of one of yours to be sure. I don't have any of mine hand, otherwise I would confirm it for you. I ordered 85 of them just to have some spares laying around.

http://www.titanium-touch.de/felge_schraube_m7x24_i_uk.html

http://www.titanium-touch.de/felge_schraube_m7x24_i_uk.html

thank you so much for the reply prasamin! - it now almost seems doable as a DIY job! and i understand the needs for replacing the bolts and torquing correctly.. thanks for the tip r.e. supplier as well.. i'll get onto them when i get round to it.. :)

I order the ones for my 3 piece from HRP. I believe they have the ones for the 2 piece usually in stock.

hmmm, got a link or more info on these guys? I had to order from Germany, and it took a month cuz I had to send them a personal check, then wait, etc. they were very nice bolts, and the customer service was amazing, but it would be nice to have a more local source.

Archived