Volvospeed Forums

Iraqi Refugees In Södertälje

I read this interesting article a couple weeks ago in the Washington Post. I thought it was pretty interesting and was wondering what you guys think.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/conte...8040904319.html

Interesting factoid: The Iraqi National Soccer Team resides in Södertälje, a town on the south end of Stockholm's local train line

To clarify, what do you think about the refugee situation and should the United States and Great Britain accept more war refugees? I think it's sad that a town in Sweden has accepted more refugees than our entire country. However, I do think those that have been able to get to Sweden are better off there than they are here due to Swedish welfare systems, etc.

Fortunate for those who can escape from their current situation. Make you thinks what about the rest of the people who are try to seek assylum to other countries.

Most Europe country have good welfare system. Sweden have free education and national healthcare in place.

Norway, Denmark, Finland, Germany, etc. have free education and nationalized healthcare as well. The reason the refugees can go there is the open immigration policy that Sweden had until recently. The only reason I say they are better off in Sweden is because I am half Swedish and I love that country. I think they would be better off in many European countries than they would be here for reasons like welfare and it is just easier to migrate to countries that are closer to where you are.

However, I think we should shoulder the burden of allowing refugees to settle here. If you compare this war's refugees to Vietnam, you will see that we are much more strict about refugees. That can be attributed to many reasons including the current administration's homeland security policies, but the number of South Vietnamese civilians that we were able to settle in the United States is much higher than the 6000 Iraqis we have let into our country.

Why not allow those who "welcomed us as liberators" to migrate here and leave the ones that shoot at us there? Sweden absorbed 30,000 Iraqis without any problems. That would be like New York City (just the five boroughs not the entire metro area) absorbing that many refugees population wise. Surely the United States could absorb more refugees than Sweden without hurting our economy.

Norway, Denmark, Finland, Germany, etc. have free education and nationalized healthcare as well. The reason the refugees can go there is the open immigration policy that Sweden had until recently. The only reason I say they are better off in Sweden is because I am half Swedish and I love that country. I think they would be better off in many European countries than they would be here for reasons like welfare and it is just easier to migrate to countries that are closer to where you are.

However, I think we should shoulder the burden of allowing refugees to settle here. If you compare this war's refugees to Vietnam, you will see that we are much more strict about refugees. That can be attributed to many reasons including the current administration's homeland security policies, but the number of South Vietnamese civilians that we were able to settle in the United States is much higher than the 6000 Iraqis we have let into our country.

Why not allow those who "welcomed us as liberators" to migrate here and leave the ones that shoot at us there? Sweden absorbed 30,000 Iraqis without any problems. That would be like New York City (just the five boroughs not the entire metro area) absorbing that many refugees population wise. Surely the United States could absorb more refugees than Sweden without hurting our economy.

Probally because Homeland Security would screen all of them for terrorist risk :lol: After 9/11, you pretty much doom trying to get into the U.S due to all the current process in place. It's already hard enough for technical skilled workers to get work visa (HB1) to work for companies like Intel. This is another reason why the U.S can't compete with other country if they can't source the best workers.

In serious note, I agreed with you but it's hard to walk the talk especially for the govt.

Probally because Homeland Security would screen all of them for terrorist risk :lol: After 9/11, you pretty much doom trying to get into the U.S due to all the current process in place. It's already hard enough for technical skilled workers to get work visa (HB1) to work for companies like Intel. This is another reason why the U.S can't compete with other country if they can't source the best workers.

In serious note, I agreed with you but it's hard to walk the talk especially for the govt.

I am a dual citizen, US and Sweden, so it's my own choice :lol:

Thats funny, seems easy enough for all of the illegal immigrants to get up to Mass and work. There are at least 3 where I work that I know of for sure. There is no effort here to get these people out of here either. Fake Driver's licenses and SS cards too.

Thats funny, seems easy enough for all of the illegal immigrants to get up to Mass and work. There are at least 3 where I work that I know of for sure. There is no effort here to get these people out of here either. Fake Driver's licenses and SS cards too.

well it's harder for the Iraqis to travel in the style that immigrants from central america do. it's way cheaper to walk across the border than it is to hitch a flight from baghdad to mexico and then follow them. if you read the article, one of the families it talks about spent weeks in the back of a box truck to get to sweden.

btw, you weren't talking about illegal irish immigrants were you? :lol:

well it's harder for the Iraqis to travel in the style that immigrants from central america do. it's way cheaper to walk across the border than it is to hitch a flight from baghdad to mexico and then follow them. if you read the article, one of the families it talks about spent weeks in the back of a box truck to get to sweden.

btw, you weren't talking about illegal irish immigrants were you? :lol:

+1

For those illegals immigrant from China..do you know what they have to go through.....live inside those cargo ship container at sea up to a month. :o

+1

For those illegals immigrant from China..do you know what they have to go through.....live inside those cargo ship container at sea up to a month. :o

yeah, i've heard of that. i took a political geography class last semester and the major theme was migration. there are a lot of sad situations in the world.

yeah, i've heard of that. i took a political geography class last semester and the major theme was migration. there are a lot of sad situations in the world.

I know like mine when I lived in Arizona and went to Jack in the Box and I couldn't order because I couldn't understand a damn word the person said. So sad.