Volvospeed Forums

Leaky Steering Rack

howardc64

Car is a 01 V70 T5 at 110k miles. Felt some play on my front passenger tire when I hold it at 3 & 9 o'clock and wiggle it. Decided to take a closer look at my tie rods and saw this. First picture is looking from the wheel well while the second picture is from under the car.

DSCF1580.jpg

DSCF1582.jpg

When I put my hand on the tie rod and push+pull, I can definitely see the play is either inside the boot or the rack itself.

The leak doesn't appear to be bad. My records show topping off power steering reservoir a little at 3 years + 30k miles ago. I guess I know now where the fluid went now. Yesterday look shows the fluid was down a little after all this time. My steering rack doesn't make any noises at all at this time. The driver side tie rod has no play in it and the boot is clean.

My questions are

- If the leak is not bad, could I just replace the tie rod? Would the new tie rod be ruined by the leaky fluids? I suppose I do take a chance on it possibly getting worse.

- Is there any chance the play is in the rack itself?

Either way, I have to fix this play before new tires :) Thanks in advance for any advice.

Car is a 01 V70 T5 at 110k miles. Felt some play on my front passenger tire when I hold it at 3 & 9 o'clock and wiggle it. Decided to take a closer look at my tie rods and saw this. First picture is looking from the wheel well while the second picture is from under the car.

DSCF1580.jpg

DSCF1582.jpg

When I put my hand on the tie rod and push+pull, I can definitely see the play is either inside the boot or the rack itself.

The leak doesn't appear to be bad. My records show topping off power steering reservoir a little at 3 years + 30k miles ago. I guess I know now where the fluid went now. Yesterday look shows the fluid was down a little after all this time. My steering rack doesn't make any noises at all at this time. The driver side tie rod has no play in it and the boot is clean.

My questions are

- If the leak is not bad, could I just replace the tie rod? Would the new tie rod be ruined by the leaky fluids? I suppose I do take a chance on it possibly getting worse.

- Is there any chance the play is in the rack itself?

Either way, I have to fix this play before new tires :) Thanks in advance for any advice.

Based on my own experience, I'd say that the seals on your power steering rack are leaking. You will eventually have to replace the PS rack. You can buy a rebuilt PS rack for $300.00 plus. Replacement is doable but a real PIA. I did mine and I am eighty years old. If you decide to do yours, the mounting bolts, although they appear to be pressed in, are removable, just pop them up and out with a mallet. Makes it a lot easier to get the old rack out and the new one in. Good luck

Based on my own experience, I'd say that the seals on your power steering rack are leaking. You will eventually have to replace the PS rack. You can buy a rebuilt PS rack for $300.00 plus. Replacement is doable but a real PIA. I did mine and I am eighty years old. If you decide to do yours, the mounting bolts, although they appear to be pressed in, are removable, just pop them up and out with a mallet. Makes it a lot easier to get the old rack out and the new one in. Good luck

Thanks for the note. I haven't dropped a subframe before so apologize if the following question is a bit dumb. After looking through various directions I could find, I see I need to keep the engine weight off the subframe when dropping it? I have nothing to secure the engine from above so just use a jack + evenly distribute the weight over the oil pan with a thick blocks of wood to do this? What about the front, rear, and passenger side motor mounts? I guess the front of the subframe will only drop a little so probably no need to disconnect the front motor mount + lower transmission torque arm?

Engine mount diagram

Archived